The Herald Bulletin

Morning Update

Breaking News

June 13, 2013

Coroner releases details on Santa Monica deaths

LOS ANGELES — The father of a man that police say killed five people last week in Santa Monica was shot multiple times, and the brother of the shooter was shot once in the chest, the coroner's office disclosed Wednesday.

Gunman John Zawahri, 23, was later shot by police at the Santa Monica College library. He died of multiple gunshot wounds, coroner's Lt. Fred Corral said while releasing details on the deaths.

Zawahri's father, Samir Zawahri, 55, and his brother, Christopher Zawahri, 25, died Friday at the family home, where the 15-minute rampage began.

The gunman then carjacked a woman and headed toward the college, shooting at strangers in a public bus and a car.

Corral said campus groundskeeper Carlos Navarro Franco, 68, died of gunshot wounds to the neck and face; his daughter, Marcela Diaz-Franco, 26, a student at the college, died of a gunshot wound to the head; and Margarita Gomez, 68, who was collecting cans outside the library, died after being shot in the abdomen and chest.

A law enforcement official who was not authorized to speak publicly and asked to remain anonymous said John Zawahri used about 100 of the 1,300 rounds of ammunition he was carrying and sprayed roughly 70 shots in the library.

Police said bomb-making materials were found seven years ago at Zawahri's house during a search prompted by threats to students, teachers and campus police officers at Olympic High, a school for students with academic or disciplinary issues.

Retired police officer Cristina Coria, who helped serve the search warrant, said Zawahri was hospitalized for psychiatric evaluation after the discovery. She didn't know the outcome of the evaluation.

Police declined to provide further details, saying Zawahri was a minor at the time.

The Santa Monica-Malibu school board was briefed at the time by school administrators after police found Zawahri was learning to make explosives by downloading instructions from YouTube, school board member Oscar de la Torre said.

Text Only
Breaking News
Featured Ads
More Resources from The Herald Bulletin
AP Video
Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Helium debate
Helium
Front page
Poll

Do you plan to attend one of the public sessions about the Mounds Lake reservoir project?

Yes
No
Not sure yet
     View Results