The Herald Bulletin

Evening Update

Breaking News

November 17, 2012

Apartment evacuated due to gas smell

ANDERSON, Ind. — An apartment building was evacuated Saturday evening as officials investigated a possible natural gas leak at Arbor Village Apartments, 1829 E. 8th St.

Residents were told to seek overnight shelter as the gas was shut off to the building.

A gas company crew went to the scene but no readings of a natural gas leak were detected inside the building, said Anderson Fire Department Battalion Chief Sam Aleshire.

He said a firetruck arrived at 6:29 p.m. and remained on standby until the gas company’s crew gave the all-clear. The truck was allowed to leave about an hour and a half later.

Natural gas is almost odorless, but a smell is added to help detect leaks.

The Herald Bulletin will update this story.

1
Text Only
Breaking News
Featured Ads
More Resources from The Herald Bulletin
AP Video
Renewed Violence Taking Toll on Gaza Residents 2 Americans Detained in North Korea Seek Help US Employers Add 209K Jobs, Rate 6.2 Pct House GOP Optimistic About New Border Bill Gaza Truce Unravels; Israel, Hamas Trade Blame Raw: Tunisia Closes Borders With Libya Four Rescued From Crashed Plane Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Helium debate
Helium
Front page
Poll

How many Dan Patch races have you attended?

None
1-2
3 or more
All 20
     View Results