The Herald Bulletin

November 17, 2012

Apartment evacuated due to gas smell

By Baylee Pulliam
The Herald Bulletin

ANDERSON, Ind. — An apartment building was evacuated Saturday evening as officials investigated a possible natural gas leak at Arbor Village Apartments, 1829 E. 8th St.

Residents were told to seek overnight shelter as the gas was shut off to the building.

A gas company crew went to the scene but no readings of a natural gas leak were detected inside the building, said Anderson Fire Department Battalion Chief Sam Aleshire.

He said a firetruck arrived at 6:29 p.m. and remained on standby until the gas company’s crew gave the all-clear. The truck was allowed to leave about an hour and a half later.

Natural gas is almost odorless, but a smell is added to help detect leaks.

The Herald Bulletin will update this story.