Name of business: Petsbedz Inc.
Owner: Les and Casey Grant
Opened: October 2012
Hours: Online all day, every day
Services: Retail pet products
In the owners’ words: Nobody likes a smelly, dirty dog bed — let alone cleaning one.
“It is time-consuming, you eventually end up buying multiple beds because the stuffing bunched up on one side or it fell apart in the washer, plus your washing machine becomes covered in dog hair.” said Casey Grant, who co-owns Anderson-based Petsbedz, Inc., with Les Grant.
Les and Casey hope they can help dog owners avoid that problem with their new product — a pet bed can be washed and dried in under 90 seconds. Plus, it’s less stinky, thanks to non-toxic, anti-microbial Monofoil, Casey said.
The product is a synergy of three local companies — Petsbedz, Coeus Technology’s Monofoil anti-microbial products and Cuttersmark Upholstery.
Casey said part of the inspiration behind the new pet bed comes from her dog Lucy.
“We wasted so much time and money by continually washing and drying Lucy’s crate pad and dog bed,” she said. And waste — whether time or money — is no good, she said.
“I was raised in California where it’s engraved in your brain to take showers not baths, turn off the lights, turn off the water while you brush your teeth and we must always conserve our natural resources simply because its wasteful,” she said.
Another driver comes from Les, who, being a fisherman, knows how tough it is to stay clean.
“One day he looked at his boot and said ‘Hey! Wouldn’t it be cool if we made a pet bed out of this? It’s waterproof, durable, and easy to clean. All you would have to do is wipe it off!’ ” Casey Grant said.
Thus, the super-easy-to-wash pet bed was born.
Petsbedz isn’t a bricks-and-mortar operation, but pet parents can order its products online 24-7, at petsbedz.com. The business also sells Crypton Super Fabric beds, MonoFoil Antimicrobial sprays and wipes and dog crates and continuously adds more products to its site.
Name of business: Petsbedz Inc.
- Local Business
Modern Trailer Sales named 'Small Business of the Year’
Moments after being named Madison County’s Small Business of the Year, Christy Kirk was posting the announcement on her company’s Facebook page. The Madison County Chamber announced Modern Trailer Sales as the winner during its Annual Awards Gala on Thursday at the Madison Park Church of God in Anderson.
Madison County Chamber Annual Awards Gala
VIDEO: Highlights from the chamber's annual awards dinner honoring businesses making a difference in Madison County.
Anderson will fight Lapel appeal
City Attorney Ashley Hopper said that Anderson will continue to fight Lapel on its annexation plan. Lapel made a super-voluntary strip annexation last summer that Anderson sued over, claiming the annexation was illegal and hampered any potential future growth for Anderson.
- Shelbyville casino renamed A sister-property to the Hoosier Park Racing & Casino, owned by Centaur Gaming, is getting a new name.
- Child left sleeping on parked ACS school bus last month was a kindergartner New details emerged Thursday about a child left unattended on a school last month after falling asleep on the way home from classes at Tenth Street Elementary School.
- Ivy Tech names new Anderson president James Willey has been named president of the new Anderson campus, Ivy Tech Community College announced Thursday.
- Susan Miller: Here's to boomer power Perhaps you’ve heard that 2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ arrival in America. While the Fab Four’s appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" was a pop culture milestone, there’s another significant half-century observance affecting millions of people this year. The “babies” of the baby boomer generation are turning 50.
- Lapel to appeal court ruling on annexation An attorney for the town of Lapel says he will file an appeal of a judge's ruling against an annexation on Thursday
Pence hopeful business tax bill will pass
Governor Mike Pence believes compromises on two key pieces of his legislative agenda will be reached before the March 14 end of the Indiana General Assembly session.
Affordable Care Act help planned for 'Super Enrollment Saturday'
A coalition of local health care and social service agencies will conduct "Super Enrollment Saturday" at four Madison County locations to help residents register for health insurance.
- More Local Business Headlines
- Modern Trailer Sales named 'Small Business of the Year’