INTERACTIVE: Since its introduction, that ethanol mandate has led to a consequence the government didn’t predict: a steep rise in the price of corn that encouraged farmers to plant more corn, including on land that had been set aside for conservation. These maps show changes among counties in the nation's Corn Belt region as corn production escalates.
Conservation land lost as corn booms
- Local Business
- Anderson, Alexandria and Elwood receive grants to tear down abandoned houses Three Madison County cities — Anderson, Alexandria and Elwood — received state grants that will be used to tear down abandoned, dilapidated houses.
- Pagano breakfast sold out A breakfast with Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano is sold out, organizers said Wednesday.
- Cellular Connection to host backpack giveaway Residents in Anderson will benefit from a national backpack giveaway campaign on Aug. 2.
- Travel restrictions on Interstate 69 this weekend During at least the next eight weekends, travel north of Anderson on Interstate 69 will be restricted as damaged concrete is repaired.
- Senior housing request continued A request for final plat approval for a senior housing development on property near Madison Park Church of God was continued Tuesday. The Anderson Plan Commission could not consider the request because of a lack of a quorum to conduct business.
- Street Department purchases 2 pickup trucks The Anderson Street Department received approval to buy two Dodge Ram pickup trucks on Tuesday.
Staying strong during adversity
When doctors told Judy Best she had cancer she was shocked, but she never lost hope.
Scholarship recipients relish parade acknowledgement
Taylor Jennings and Shelby Farmer took their last stroll around their hometown Sunday. At least, their last before starting college in the fall.
- Senior housing sought for Madison Park A senior housing development proposed almost six months ago for the Madison Park Church of God property is now moving forward.
- Jesse Wilkerson: Unplug to reconnect I am inspired and influenced by people in our community who are creating a legacy of service. These people have disconnected long enough to realize there is more to their life than their job or personal success.
- More Local Business Headlines