INTERACTIVE: Since its introduction, that ethanol mandate has led to a consequence the government didn’t predict: a steep rise in the price of corn that encouraged farmers to plant more corn, including on land that had been set aside for conservation. These maps show changes among counties in the nation's Corn Belt region as corn production escalates.
Conservation land lost as corn booms
- Local Business
- Local nonprofits square off in 'Grant Madness' To raise awareness of local nonprofit organizations, the Madison County Community Foundation will conduct an audience-engagement campaign called "Grant Madness" over the next several weeks.
- Healthy living starts in 'Beginnings' class Eating an apple a day may keep the doctor away, but Susan Landess is doing more than focusing on her own wellness — she’s teaching others how to live healthier.
Loss leads to foundation
For all parents, the loss of a child is not something they ever want to think about and pray it is something they never have to deal with. Unfortunately, it is something many couples everywhere have to deal with.
- Wigwam deadline extended to June 30 The Anderson Community Schools Board of Trustees and city officials on Tuesday reached an agreement that will delay consideration of razing the Wigwam complex until July.
- Donations sought to support fire rescue house project The Fire Rescue House of Madison County, 824 W. Third St., Anderson, is seeking help from the residents of Anderson and Madison County.
- Ingalls drops annexation east of Indiana 13 The annexation debate in southwestern Madison County became a little clearer after an Ingalls Town Council meeting Monday night.
- Managing pain is Howe's specialty Dr. Charles Howe said trying to define pain is like trying to define love. Both love and pain are experienced and defined on an individual basis which often varies in both intensity and scope from person to person.
- County could get federal relief Some federal aid to pay for snow expenses could be coming to Madison County.
- Second Harvest establishes Senior Citizens Volunteer Club Second Harvest Food Bank of East Central Indiana is looking for volunteers who want to become a part of a newly established Senior Citizens Volunteer Club.
- Light rail big issue in transit bill Sen. Tim Lanane, D-Anderson, said the biggest issue facing the conference committee on the mass transit bill is the matter of light rail.
- More Local Business Headlines