INTERACTIVE: Since its introduction, that ethanol mandate has led to a consequence the government didn’t predict: a steep rise in the price of corn that encouraged farmers to plant more corn, including on land that had been set aside for conservation. These maps show changes among counties in the nation's Corn Belt region as corn production escalates.
Conservation land lost as corn booms
- Local Business
- Commissioners vote to eliminate Personnel Board Madison County commissioners have decided to end the county’s Personnel Board.
Indianapolis-San Francisco flights have good start
New nonstop flights between Indianapolis and San Francisco have been filling up with passengers during their first months in the air.
- County to provide emergency texts Since the 1950s most communities relied on the old air raid sirens to warn residents of threatening weather, but Madison County is in the process of adapting new technology.
Local partnerships feed school children during weekends
Deanna McNeese says it is hard to listen to children talk about being hungry when school is not in session.
Expected blast of winter weather will be cold, but short lived
For those of you who were missing it, winter is about to treat central Indiana to an encore performance over the next couple of days.
- 'Grace's Magic' to help Second Harvest Ball State graduate Cindee Cox is the author of “Grace’s Magic,” a children’s book geared around helping others and the community in which they live.
- Jesse Wilkerson: Perseverance prevails I was playing someone in chess. It's a game I picked up in middle school.
- Alexandria library going digital Alexandria-Monroe Public Library using new digital program to make borrowing the latest books and movies easier than ever.
Special Olympian headlines 30th Gourmet Sampler
Friends came by the table of Paul Porcaro on Sunday, asking if he was going to sing again this year.
Only two days left to file taxes
According to the IRS, almost 100 million tax returns have been filed in the week before this year’s tax deadline, and about 35 million more are expected to be filed by Tuesday's deadline.
- More Local Business Headlines