VIDEO: It's March, which means the NCAA Tournament is just around the corner. But before March Madness takes hold, the conference tournaments, which get under way this week, often provide their own share of exciting finishes. Here are five memorable buzzer beaters from conference tournament play.
Ohio State vs. Michigan (2010 Big Ten quarterfinal)
The Wolverines were two seconds away from upsetting OSU in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in 2010. But then the Buckeyes got the ball into the hands of Evan Turner.
UConn vs. Pitt (2011 Big East quarterfinal)
Guard Kemba Walker's step-back jumper at the buzzer lifted the Huskies to an upset of Pitt in the Big East tournament and sparked a postseason run that ended with coach Jim Calhoun's third national championship.
Stetson vs. Belmont (2011 Atlantic Sun women's semifinal)
The women have provided their share of buzzer beating excitement in conference tournaments over the years, as in the 2011 Atlantic Sun Conference semifinal, when Stetson guard Victoria McGowan threw in a 55-footer to beat Belmont.
BYU vs. UTEP (1992 WAC championship)
The Cougars were on the verge of seeing their hopes for an NCAA Tournament bid dashed until forward Kevin Nixon made a shot that BYU fans still talk about more than 20 years later.
Washington vs. Arizona (2011 Pac 10 championship)
A back-and-forth championship game in 2011 between the Huskies and the Wildcats came down to Washington's final possession in overtime.
- College Sports
Big Ten commissioner paints dire picture of paying players
The head of the Big Ten painted a dire picture Friday of what college sports would look like if players were paid. He said his conference likely would cease to exist and the Rose Bowl probably would not be played.
Mike Lopresti: Hoosiers' high hopes end in heartbreak
Caring comes with a catch; how lousy it feels to lose. Indiana University was just reminded of that.
- Mike Lopresti: Hoosiers bitten by fickle fate They said they're not shattered. They said they'll be back, as surely as Monday follows Sunday. They said this was one loss, and that happens in baseball.
AU softball team loses two to end season
The Anderson University bats fell silent in day two of the NCAA Division III softball regional and as a result, the Ravens are headed home, finishing the season at 30-9.
Frazier's slam lifts AU into regional second round
Anderson University junior Nichole Frazier hit a walk-off grand slam home run in the seventh inning to lift the Ravens to a 9-5 victory over Fontbonne Friday.
Utah president backs review of fight song
After more than a century of singing "I'm a Utah Man," some say it's time to update the University of Utah's 1904 fight song.
- Ravens softball team heads to Illinois for regionals The Anderson University softball team, fresh off winning the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference season and tournament titles, Monday morning learned of its next hurdle.
- Ravens dump Bluffton, win HCAC softball title All of them had a shot. All of them went down in flames. The Anderson University softball team finished as dominating a performance as the conference has seen in a while with a 13-4 victory over Bluffton to win the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament here Saturday.
AU unbeaten in tourney
The Ravens posted a 4-1 win over Transylvania in the opening contest and then buried the Rose-Hulman Engineers with their own poorly designed shovels 12-3 in the nightcap.
- AU top seeds in HCAC softball tourney Anderson University's softball team has dominated the regular season of the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference but the Ravens know that is no guarantee for the tournament.
- More College Sports Headlines
- Big Ten commissioner paints dire picture of paying players