- Maleah Stringer: Time has come for spay/neuter ordinance It is time for a spay/neuter ordinance in our community to help control the overpopulation of cats and dogs. The answer is simple: responsible pet ownership which includes spaying/neutering.
- Verna Davis: God's Word in your heart will keep you from sin Psalm 119 is an interesting Psalm. Not only is it the longest chapter in the Bible, Psalm 119 devotes eight verses about God and His Word to each of the 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet. Imagine doing that with our alphabet. Let's see, God's Word is
'Big Joe' Clark: China and its economy counts more than you know
China is the second largest economy in the world, yet Canada still remains our largest trading partner. So why is it when China sneezes, coughs or breathes heavy it affects us here at home so severely?
- Primus Mootry: Observations on various topics Obama-snare — the roll-out of President Obama's signature legislation, The Affordable Care Act (better known as Obamacare), has been riddled with website and other problems. Late-night talk show hosts, the media, and right-wing Republicans are having a field day. Dismayed Democrats and liberal supporters of the law are begging the public to be patient.
- Jim Bailey: A bit of nostalgia, or you can just admire the mountains As we were leaving my wife’s Princeton, W.Va., High School decade reunion, one of her old schoolmates remarked to me, “You’re a good man to come to your wife’s reunion.”
- Viewpoint: Veterans form the fabric of our nation From row upon row of “gardens of stone” in our national cemeteries, to Ellis Island, through which my wives’ grandparents and other immigrants passed, these form part of our forefathers’ successful experiment that became the United States of America. Let’s remember all who have served.
- Emmett Dulaney: Madison County Economic Outlook Part II Last week, we started looking at the numbers for the county and putting them in perspective by examining variables related to employment and the labor force. This week, we will look at variables related to the population (demographics and households), and welfare.
- Maureen Hayden: VanNess must convince lawmakers to restore funding Indiana Gov. Mike Pence opened the state’s Infant Mortality Summit last week by sharing a personal story: He and his wife had struggled with infertility issues early in their marriage, so the eventual arrival of their three children was met with deep gratitude and appreciation.
Scott Underwood: November brings back Larry Legend
November is an exciting time in the Madison County area for many reasons, not the least of which is the coming of basketball season.
- Don McAllister: Mom had a thing for holidays Marguerite McAllister was no hayseed. Her young photos showed that she could be quite glamorous. Still, at the core of things, she remained a country girl from Willow Hill, Ill.
- More Columns Headlines