The Herald Bulletin

Midday Update

Cops, courts and fires

February 28, 2014

Chimney fire causes about $10,000 in damage

ANDERSON, Ind. — No one was injured in a fire that started in the chimney area of a home on Thursday.

The fire, which caused about $10,000 in damages, was contained within 15 minutes, said Chesterfield-Union Township Fire Department Chief Jamey Burrows.

“The fire started behind the homeowner's fireplace, and we had to do some overall to remove the burnt insulation around the back side and into the attic,” Burrows said.

At approximately 6 p.m., Chesterfield-Union Township Fire Department responded to the call in the 2300 block of East Indiana 236 and was assisted by Adams Township Fire Department and the Pendleton Fire Department. Burrows said Pendleton would not normally have assisted with the fire, but they were covering for another district at the time.

The adult homeowners were inside the home at the time of the fire but were safely evacuated when they noticed smoke coming out from around the fireplace, Burrows said.

Area law enforcement temporarily diverted traffic from Ind. 236 because of the fire trucks in the roadway he said.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour to remove the burnt insulation and investigate the scene.

Like Traci L. Moyer on Facebook and follow her @moyyer on Twitter, or call 648-4250.

 

1
Text Only
Cops, courts and fires
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide