By Baylee Pulliam
The Herald Bulletin
PENDLETON, Ind. —
Construction crews working to expand a Pendleton McDonald’s restaurant accidentally caused a gas leak Wednesday morning.
At around 10:45 a.m., a natural gas leak was reported at McDonald’s, 11 Enterprise Drive. Fire crews determined the gas was getting in the air and the wind was blowing it toward the Burger King across the street, said Rodney Conner, assistant spokesman for Madison County Emergency Management Agency.
Emergency Management blocked traffic on the street between McDonald’s and the Ricker’s gas station for about three and a half hours while crews looked for a shut-off.
Natural gas causes two main safety concerns, Conner said.
First, people exposed to the gas for prolonged periods of time could experience nausea, and other health-related side effects. Second, if a vehicle with a mechanical problem were to drive through it, a spark could trigger an explosion.
Find Baylee Pulliam on Facebook and @BayleeNPulliam on Twitter, or call 648-4250.