The Herald Bulletin

December 26, 2013

Anderson murder suspect surrendered peacefully in Marion

De’Auntaye D. White allegedly shot his cousin on Dec. 15

By Ken de la Bastide
The Herald Bulletin


Anderson police arrested De’Auntaye D. White on Wednesday in Marion on a charge of murder in connection with the shooting death of his cousin, Quayshawn Jordan.

A warrant was issued Dec. 18 for White’s arrest on the murder charge. White, 18, 600 block of West 23rd Street, was being detained Thursday night at the Madison County Jail without bond.

If convicted, White faces a 45-65 year prison sentence.

White was arrested by Marion Police Department officers about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. He offered no resistance, according to authorities.

Sgt. Kevin Earley with criminal investigations at APD said Marion police had been provided with information concerning White's whereabouts. He said Marion officers went to that location and were informed that White might be at a home off Branson Street.

Earley said the Marion Special Response Team surrounded the house, and White surrendered to police. White was brought back to Anderson Wednesday night.

The shooting took place about 6:50 p.m. on Dec. 15 in the 1600 block of Chase Street. Jordan was shot twice, once in the right abdomen and once in the left knee cap.

Jordan was transported to St. Vincent Regional Hospital by a friend before police arrived at the scene.

Madison County Coroner Marian Dunnichay said Jordan died at 7:33 p.m. as a result of blood loss from the wound to the abdomen.

Police have statements from three witnesses who allege that White fired three or four shots at Jordan after exiting a vehicle. The witnesses didn’t indicate a motive for the shooting.

One witness said that he and Jordan went to the 1600 block of Chase Street so Jordan could visit with his niece at his grandmother’s house.

The witness said he parked near the apartments and noticed a green Trail Blazer pulling an open trailer stop behind his vehicle. Jordan reportedly exited the car and walked to the back of the vehicle. The witness then saw a man wearing a gray, hooded zipper jacket get out of the Blazer.

The witness heard four gunshots and, in fear, hid his head and face in his own lap. When the shots stopped, the witness saw the Blazer speeding away. He found Jordan lying on the ground.

“Get me off the ground, take me to the hospital,” Jordan reportedly said. “I feel like I’m dying.”

The driver of the Blazer told police that, the day of the shooting, White called and wanted a ride to get his cousin, and they picked up another man at the apartments near the intersection of Ninth and Main streets in Anderson.

The witness said they drove to the Geater Center, 1611 Chase St., at White’s request and the driver was told to stop behind the other car. He said White got out of the Blazer and walked toward a second person who got out of the car.

The driver of the Blazer said he heard three gunshots and started to speed away from the scene. White climbed back into the vehicle, and the two males got out at the intersection of 23rd and Sheridan streets, according to police reports.

Follow Ken de la Bastide @KendelaBastide on Twitter, or call 640-4863.