By Jack Molitor
The Herald Bulletin
MARKLEVILLE, Ind. —
Firefighters near the county line contained a house fire to a single second-floor room Wednesday afternoon.
Tankers from Adams Township and Pendleton took only about 15 minutes to put out the blaze that engulfed a room in a two-story house in the 4900 block of South County Road 800 East near Markleville and the county line.
Firefighters responded to the fire at about 2:30 p.m. because of an alarm and 911 calls.
According to Adams Township assistant chief Steve Fulk, three children in the house got out very quickly and nobody was hurt. He estimated the agencies used about 400 gallons of water to douse the fire.
“We initially called out some units when we thought it might be getting worse, but we canceled once we had it under control,” Fulk said. “It didn’t take very long at all.”
Fulk said he believes the fire started in a closet in the upstairs room, a belief shared by the children in the house. Rachel Smith and her brothers were downstairs when they heard a noise and went upstairs to inspect.
“Our whole room was filled with smoke. We couldn’t see anything,” Smith said. “We ran downstairs and got out as fast as we could.”
Homeowner John Smith said it’s possible the fire could’ve been caused by a closet lamp. He said he was at work in Fishers when he found out, and he said he was relieved no one was hurt.
Find Jack Molitor on Facebook and @AggieJack4 on Twitter, or call 640-4883.