PENDLETON, Ind. — Firefighters were able to rescue a woman's cat from a fire Sunday afternoon, but couldn't save her house.
The Pendleton Fire Department was called out to the two-story home on Woodchuck Drive near Huntsville Road around 1:30 p.m.
The owner was at work, but a passer-by had called it in and firefighters were able to rescue the pet cat from a downstairs room, Fire Chief Danny Gardner said.
With the heat and lack of fire hydrants, he added, other departments with tankers had to be called out to assist.
It only took about 15 minutes to knock the fire down, he said, but the house was still "a total loss."
While a cause hadn't yet been determined, it appeared the blaze began in the garage.
Gardner said that a lot of items in the home were burned and that the garage collapsed.
Anderson, Markleville, Ingalls, Lapel, Wilkinson and Edgewood fire departments assisted.
The investigation is ongoing.
Like Dani Palmer on Facebook and follow her @DaniPalmer_THB on Twitter, or call 640-4847.