By Scott L. Miley
The Herald Bulletin
ANDERSON, Ind. — About 10 people were evacuated Friday morning from the Delaware Court Apartments aftrer fire broke out in a vacant room, firefighters said.
No one was injured in the 7:24 a.m. fire that sent smoke billowing across Central Christian Church, which is separated by a walkway from the apartments at 120 W. 10th St.
City buses took four of the residents to the Geater Center. Power was shut off to the building and residents could not return until the buildings were checked by fire and city officials.
The fire started in a vacant apartment, said Anderson Fire Department Chief Philip Rogers. The blaze spread to a nearby stairway, with smoke rising through the roof of the three-story building. Although connected the apartments are divided into six sections.
Part of the apartments are being closed and residents were told to move out by Oct. 1, said one of the residents, Justin Lockridge. He and his wife, Jennifer, were in the process of moving out,.
Firefighters went door to door to evacuate residents. One problem, however, was that firefighters had no record of who lived in which apartment. There are often squatters in some of the vacant apartments, residents said.
"They're in there 24/7 in that basement, smoking cigarettes," said Jimmy Rogers who has klived in the apartments for two months.
The fire was extinguished by 8:30 a.m.
The Herald Bulletin will continue to update this story.