ANDERSON, Ind. — Each Monday, The Herald Bulletin publishes “You Said It,” a compilation of reader comments from www.theheraldbulletin.com coupled with responses by the newspaper’s editorial board.
Testimony split over wheel tax reinstatement during a public session last week. (Article published Tuesday, May 14)
- “Three talking heads for and 17 concerned citizens against, doesn’t sound like an even split on the subject to me. It will be interesting to see who really cares how the people feel about the tax.”
- ““Giving a politician a tax increase is like giving an alcoholic a drink. They will never be satisfied with just one.”
- “I would actually support the wheel tax if the money would actually be used to fix our roads. However, a drive through Anderson and Madison County will tell, sometimes with a violent jolt as your car is swallowed by a pothole, that roads are not a priority. What a joke!”
THB: If the wheel tax is put back into effect, the money collected must go for road repair and road repair only.
Anderson Community School Corp. has altered policy after a student was left alone for several hours. (May 16)
- “I think each teacher should “inspect” their rooms, have the responsibility to check common areas before lockup. Even the janitorial staff. Complacency that everything is in order unfortunately happens, but it shouldn’t.”
THB: The good news is that the child was not hurt and policy has been changed to make sure this will not happen again. A sweep of the entire building should be done every afternoon before staff leaves.
AU softball team makes history with NCAA regional championship. (May 14)
- “So, so, so proud of my alma mater! I know the girls and the coaches have worked so hard to get here. You’re making all of us Ravens and former softball players gush with pride!”
- “Congratulations to all the Ravens softball team — especially those that have long graduated, but helped get this team ready for the nationals. I played many years for Tony Holloway (my brother) and, without a doubt, believe he is the best coach around. Good luck in nationals while Larry Holloway is proudly watching!”