Friday, May 24
Indiana Christian Academy commencement, 7 p.m., Grace Baptist Church.
Saturday, May 25
Ernie’s Heart Pet Food Pantry YART (Yard + Art) Sale, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., 610 Scatterfield Road.
Relay for Life bowling fundraiser, 3-5 p.m., Cooper’s Sport Bowl, 1920 E. 53rd St.
Family Festival sponsored by Living Water Community Church, 3-7 p.m., food and fun, 7-9 p.m., music/service, Anderson Town Centre Park.
Dr. Angela H. Streeter Scholarship Musical presented by Metropolitan College of Theology, 5 p.m., Anderson City Building, 120 E. Eighth St.
65th Pay Less Little 500, green flag, 8 p.m., Anderson Speedway, 1311 Martin Luther King Blvd., Anderson. Call 642-0206 for reserved tickets, $29.
Community Memorial Day service, 11 a.m., Alexandria Service Club, 204 E. Berry St. Co-hosted by Alexander Bright Post 87, American Legion and the City of Alexandria.
Farmers market, 8 a.m.-noon, Falls Park, next to the Community Building.
Sunday, May 26
97th running of the Indianapolis 500, 12:12 p.m., Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Friday, May 24
- Anderson inspiration Art inspired by the landscape of Anderson has found a new home after prominently hanging in the prestigious 21st Annual Coors Western Art Exhibition & Sale in Denver, Colo. Several oil paintings fashioned by local artist David Michael Slonim were sold, including one for $9,500.
- Casting Jesus: Did he really look like Brad Pitt? Those who study religion as portrayed in popular culture note that depicting Jesus on the screen has always been a tricky business, one that balances weighty theological concerns — how divine to make the son of God, and how human? —with more earthly ones, like how best to sell movie tickets?
- Weekend Calendar: March 7 Entertainment scheduled at area venues for March 7-9.
- Live music: March 7 The following listings for live music and other entertainment activities are published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
'Cinderella' dancing into the Paramount
One of the world’s most beloved fairy tales will soon spring to life at the Paramount Theatre. This weekend’s performances will be the first time since 1997 that the local ballet troupe has performed “Cinderella,” AYBT board member Nancy Anderson said.
- 'Ghost' gets musical makeover The 1990 romantic film starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore gets a sweet, often captivating, makeover in the musical playing this weekend at the Old National Centre in Indianapolis.
- Madison County Choral Festival features choirs from 6 schools Choir students from Alexandria, Elwood, Frankton, Lapel, Madison-Grant and Pendleton Heights will take part in the 2014 Madison County Choral Festival at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 11.
- Songs 'n Sweets set for March 23 Lapel's Community Band kicks off the 2014 concert season with its sixth annual benefit concert for the Lapel Community Food Pantry on Sunday, March 23, at 3 p.m. at Trinity Life Center, Indiana 13 and 38 near Pendleton.
- '12 Years a Slave' rises up at Academy Awards Perhaps atoning for past sins, Hollywood named the brutal, unshrinking historical drama "12 Years a Slave" best picture at the 86th annual Academy Awards.
'12 Years a Slave,' McConaughey, Blanchett head list of 2014 Oscar winners
List of winners at Sunday's 86th annual Academy Awards presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The Oscar for best picture went to "12 Years a Slave."
- More Entertainment Headlines