Friday, March 8
Golden Age euchre, 11:30 a.m., Union Hall, 29th Street and Madison Avenue, Anderson.
Friends of the Library book sale, noon-4:30 p.m., third-floor bookstore, Anderson Public Library, 111 E. 12th St., Anderson.
Hope for Becky, 6-10 p.m., Rigo’s at Grandview, 1905 W. North Shore Blvd., Anderson.
Bluegrass Festival, 6:30-11 p.m., Daybreak Community Church, 1219 N. Main St., Lapel.
Saturday, March 9
Breakfast with the Easter Bunny, 8-10 a.m., Alexandria Community Center, 315 S. Harrison St., Alexandria.
Friends of the Library book sale, noon-4:30 p.m., third floor bookstore, Anderson Public Library, 111 E. 12th St., Anderson.
Tack auction and chili dinner, 2 p.m. (doors open at noon), Madison County 4-H Fairgrounds, Alexandria. Sponsored by Madison County 4-H Ruff Ryders.
Anderson Young Ballet Theatre Spring Gala: Adventures in Technique, 7:30 p.m., Paramount Theatre, 1124 Meridian Plaza, Anderson.
Sunday, March 10
J.S. Bach’s “St. John Passion” by the Kammerbach Ensemble, 2:30 p.m., York Performance Hall, Anderson University, Anderson.
Friday, March 8
- Geater Center getting new gym floor For the first time since it opened in the 1970s, the Geater Center is getting a new gym floor as a result of safety concerns.
Singer Mel Tillis recovering from heart surgery
Country Music Hall of Fame singer Mel Tillis is recovering in Nashville after heart surgery over the weekend.
Jonathan Demme selling vast art collection in Pennsylvania
A riot of color greeted Oscar-winning director Jonathan Demme the first time he walked into Haitian Corner, an art gallery around the corner from his Manhattan apartment. Instantly transfixed, he left with a $250 painting by Haitian master Wilson Bigaud. The seed was planted.
- Art show overcomes financial, weather hurdles A shortage of funds, canceled classes and a predicted snowstorm couldn’t stop it. The Art Association of Madison County’s 15th annual Student Art Exhibit opened — narrowly — without a hitch March 2.
Gettysburg wax museum selling historical figures
A life-sized animatronic Abe Lincoln is among the historical figures and tableau scenes from a Gettysburg wax museum set to hit the auction block just months after the town celebrated the 150th anniversary of his "Gettysburg Address."
- Audubon Society opposed to reservoir Another environmental group has voiced opposition to the proposed Mounds Lake reservoir based on concerns over the potential impact on Mounds State Park.
Art inspired by the landscape of Anderson has found a new home after prominently hanging in the prestigious 21st Annual Coors Western Art Exhibition & Sale in Denver, Colo. Several oil paintings fashioned by local artist David Michael Slonim were sold, including one for $9,500.
- Casting Jesus: Did he really look like Brad Pitt? Those who study religion as portrayed in popular culture note that depicting Jesus on the screen has always been a tricky business, one that balances weighty theological concerns — how divine to make the son of God, and how human? —with more earthly ones, like how best to sell movie tickets?
- Weekend Calendar: March 7 Entertainment scheduled at area venues for March 7-9.
- Live music: March 7 The following listings for live music and other entertainment activities are published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- More Entertainment Headlines