Saving carrots from a sugary fate
Typically, we prepare carrots much as we prepare sweet potatoes (their distant orange cousins) at Thanksgiving — by glazing them and otherwise shoveling on extra sugar.
Business Profile: Avenue Diner gives service with a smile
David Smith loves to cook, which is why he decided to open a new restaurant in a former ice cream shop location.
Craft beer playbook wide open for Super Bowl
The Super Bowl is all about the spectacle. Whether it’s the food, the commercials, the half-time show, the game itself, it’s got to be big and brash. Which is why you have no excuse for drinking some watered down, mass market beer this year.
- Juicing eliminates nutrients The latest juicing craze boasts healthier living, but misconceptions about cleanses could leave drinkers malnourished.
- Hops demand grows as breweries bloom The local food movement is creating higher demand for Indiana-grown hops, but it may take several years for the supply to catch up.
- A lean holiday roast that doesn't skimp on flavor Let's face it, as much as we want to be healthy, there is such a thing as roast that is too lean. A lack of fat often means a lack of flavor. So how to make up this deficit?
Residents share holiday potluck etiquette, secrets
Call them potlucks, pitch-ins, carry-ins or just dinner, most people contribute food to at least one gathering during the holiday season. For many, the most wonderful time of the year means it’s time for friends, family and food.
- Fruity inspirations How can you work fruit ingredients into your holiday baking this year? Take a look at these recipes for some hints.
- Make it and freeze it After working all day, you arrive home to face the job of preparing dinner, often for the whole, hungry family. Wouldn’t it be great if you could just pull something out of the freezer, and voila, dinner's just about on the table? David Gillaspy is out to help with that.
All fired up
While you watch, Michael McCurry gently presses handmade dough out on a wooden paddle, slathers pesto sauce on it, then sprinkles on cheese and a selection of delightful fresh accoutrements.
- More Food Headlines
- Saving carrots from a sugary fate