The Herald Bulletin

Morning Update

Local News

May 23, 2013

Cat may have caused Chesterfield house fire

CHESTERFIELD, Ind. — A cat who knocked over a lamp may be to blame for a house fire in Chesterfield Thursday.

The flames were reported in a single-story home in the 200 block of Crestview Court, where crews responded at 11:14 a.m.

“It was mostly contained to the living room,” said Chesterfield-Union Township Fire Department deputy chief Mark Carman. “We believe it was electrical.”

He said the fire looked to have been sparked when one of the home owner’s six cats knocked over a lamp, shattering the bulb. He said homeowner reported seeing a flash, at which point the flames ignited.

Crews from Chesterfield-Union Township, Daleville and Salem and Adams townships responded and doused the flames within about 15 minutes, with support from the Madison County Sheriff’s Department and Chesterfield police.

Carman said the owners suffered no injuries, and crews were able to rescue their two pet dogs. Only two cats have been recovered, one of which died at the scene.

Like Baylee Pulliam on Facebook and follow her on Twitter @BayleeNPulliam, or call 648-4250.

1
Text Only
Local News
March Staff Photos


Buy and browse more photos from The Herald Bulletin

More Resources from The Herald Bulletin
Auto Industry Book
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Facebook