ANDERSON, Ind. —
ANDERSON — A rural Madison County man died Friday in a one-vehicle accident just north of Elwood on Indiana 37 at around 5:30. p.m., according to Madison County Sheriff Ron Richardson.
Jamie Cassas, 49, of Elwood was within a mile of his home when his 1990 Jeep left the road just north of County Road 1500 North, “struck a culvert, went airborne and flipped at least once before landing on its wheels,” Richardson said.
A large dent in the dirt marked a nearly 75-foot leap that the Jeep took after hitting the culvert. And a trail of belongings, including a couple of bags and the backseat, could be seen next to the smashed tan vehicle.
The roll cage on the driver’s side collapsed on the soft-top, soft-door tan Jeep.
Madison County Coroner Ned Dunnichay determined Cassas died from “blunt forced entry to the head. Dunnichay also determined, according to a spokesman, that no alcohol or drugs were suspected.
Richardson said Cassas was wearing a seatbelt and harness, and was not thrown from the vehicle.
Summittville and Duck Creek fire departments removed Cassas from the wreckage while shielding any on-lookers with a white sheet.
Madison County Emergency Management blocked a one-mile by two-mile radius while Madison County Sheriff’s Department and Elwood police accessed and cleared the scene.
As of late Friday night, the accident was still under investigation, the sheriff said.
Contact Christina M. Wright, 640-4883, christina.wright@
ANDERSON, Ind. —
- Local News
Work begins on new Ivy Tech facility
Motorists driving on East 60th Street near Columbus Avenue will notice heavy machinery working in preparation for a new educational facility in Anderson.
- Mother charged with possessing a gun at school enrolls child elsewhere Bonnie Trahan says her first priority is her son after incident that led to her facing charges of possessing a handgun on school property.
Highland staff, students donate more than $1,500 to help classmate's family
Despite being a fresh face in the halls, students and staff honored Suncerria's memory this week raising more than $1,500 in cash donations and $300 in gift cards as well as a food basket to support her family through their grief.
- Many schools see increases in IREAD scores More Madison County schools reported preliminary IREAD-3 test results Friday and, for the most part, officials were pleased with the results.
- Ivy Tech extends deadline for ASAP Ivy tech Community College is extending the application deadline for a special program that allows students to earn an associate degree in 11 months.
Daniels joins 2016 presidential debate commission
Mitch Daniels spurned calls to run for the White House in 2012, but the Purdue University president will have a hand in the 2016 race.
- Arrest Log: April 19 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Thursday and Friday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Local Briefs: April 19 A compilation of news items of local and statewide interest as published in the Saturday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Heating assistance provided to 4,445 households Almost 5,000 households in Madison and Grant counties received assistance this past winter with their heating bills, members of the Central Indiana Community Action Program learned this week.
Geater Center celebrates remodeling of facility
The Geater Community Center held an open house Thursday afternoon to celebrate their remodeled facility and new gym floor.
- More Local News Headlines
- Work begins on new Ivy Tech facility