ANDERSON, Ind. —
ANDERSON — A rural Madison County man died Friday in a one-vehicle accident just north of Elwood on Indiana 37 at around 5:30. p.m., according to Madison County Sheriff Ron Richardson.
Jamie Cassas, 49, of Elwood was within a mile of his home when his 1990 Jeep left the road just north of County Road 1500 North, “struck a culvert, went airborne and flipped at least once before landing on its wheels,” Richardson said.
A large dent in the dirt marked a nearly 75-foot leap that the Jeep took after hitting the culvert. And a trail of belongings, including a couple of bags and the backseat, could be seen next to the smashed tan vehicle.
The roll cage on the driver’s side collapsed on the soft-top, soft-door tan Jeep.
Madison County Coroner Ned Dunnichay determined Cassas died from “blunt forced entry to the head. Dunnichay also determined, according to a spokesman, that no alcohol or drugs were suspected.
Richardson said Cassas was wearing a seatbelt and harness, and was not thrown from the vehicle.
Summittville and Duck Creek fire departments removed Cassas from the wreckage while shielding any on-lookers with a white sheet.
Madison County Emergency Management blocked a one-mile by two-mile radius while Madison County Sheriff’s Department and Elwood police accessed and cleared the scene.
As of late Friday night, the accident was still under investigation, the sheriff said.
Contact Christina M. Wright, 640-4883, christina.wright@
ANDERSON, Ind. —
- Local News
Explosion may have led to fire
Eight days after structure fires destroyed two Anderson apartment homes, crews were called out on two different fires Thursday.
- Warrant issued for victim's cousin A murder warrant has been issued for the cousin of Quayshawn Jordan, who was shot to death Sunday on Anderson’s near south side.
- Crews respond to garage fire on Chester Street Anderson Fire Department responded to a fire started in a garage on the 1400 block of Chester Street on Thursday.
Two school buses in morning accident
No children were injured in an accident involving two school buses on Thursday morning. The accident, which occurred at 8:53 a.m. on County Road 300 East near Killbuck Elementary School, involved two Anderson Community Schools buses — traveling in opposite directions — that clipped rearview mirrors.
Mounds State Park to offer winter break programs
Winter is the perfect time to explore Mounds State Park, especially when the kids have a break from school.
- Arrest Log: Dec. 20 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Wednesday and Thursday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- What's Where: Dec. 20 Local meetings and activities are planned Friday.
- Local Briefs: Dec. 20 A compilation of news items of local and statewide interest as published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
Two school buses involved in accident
Two school buses are involved in an accident but there are no injuries reported in the 8:55 a.m. collision at county roads 300 East and 200 North in Anderson.
- Arrest Log: Dec. 19 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Tuesday and Wednesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- More Local News Headlines
- Explosion may have led to fire