ANDERSON, Ind. —
ANDERSON — A rural Madison County man died Friday in a one-vehicle accident just north of Elwood on Indiana 37 at around 5:30. p.m., according to Madison County Sheriff Ron Richardson.
Jamie Cassas, 49, of Elwood was within a mile of his home when his 1990 Jeep left the road just north of County Road 1500 North, “struck a culvert, went airborne and flipped at least once before landing on its wheels,” Richardson said.
A large dent in the dirt marked a nearly 75-foot leap that the Jeep took after hitting the culvert. And a trail of belongings, including a couple of bags and the backseat, could be seen next to the smashed tan vehicle.
The roll cage on the driver’s side collapsed on the soft-top, soft-door tan Jeep.
Madison County Coroner Ned Dunnichay determined Cassas died from “blunt forced entry to the head. Dunnichay also determined, according to a spokesman, that no alcohol or drugs were suspected.
Richardson said Cassas was wearing a seatbelt and harness, and was not thrown from the vehicle.
Summittville and Duck Creek fire departments removed Cassas from the wreckage while shielding any on-lookers with a white sheet.
Madison County Emergency Management blocked a one-mile by two-mile radius while Madison County Sheriff’s Department and Elwood police accessed and cleared the scene.
As of late Friday night, the accident was still under investigation, the sheriff said.
Contact Christina M. Wright, 640-4883, christina.wright@
ANDERSON, Ind. —
- Local News
- Car crashes into home after driver falls from vehicle A 19-year-old man was taken to the hospital with severe abrasions and lacerations after police say he opened the door of the vehicle he was driving and fell out of his car.
- Wigwam deadline extended to June 30 The Anderson Community Schools Board of Trustees and city officials on Tuesday reached an agreement that will delay consideration of razing the Wigwam complex until July.
- Ingalls drops annexation east of Indiana 13 The annexation debate in southwestern Madison County became a little clearer after an Ingalls Town Council meeting Monday night.
- Donations sought to support fire rescue house project The Fire Rescue House of Madison County, 824 W. Third St., Anderson, is seeking help from the residents of Anderson and Madison County.
Convicted murderer sentenced to 85 years
Without uttering a word in the courtroom, Malcolm Cobb was sentenced to a maximum 85 years in prison for the 2013 slaying of Spencer Smith.
- Local nonprofits square off in 'Grant Madness' To raise awareness of local nonprofit organizations, the Madison County Community Foundation will conduct an audience-engagement campaign called "Grant Madness" over the next several weeks.
- Local briefs: March 12 A compilation of state and local briefs as published in the Wednesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Arrest Log: March 12 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement, based on Madison County Jail records.
- What's Where: March 12 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Wednesday, March 12.
- Former DCS director charged with perjury in federal case The former local director of the Indiana Department of Child Services and member of the New Castle Community School Corp.’s school board has been charged by criminal complaint with one count of perjury and one count of making a materially false statement,
- More Local News Headlines