More meal vouchers available in April
ANDERSON — The Touchpoint A’la Carte, Senior Meal Vouchers that are distributed at the Community Hospital Anderson Education Center on the first Wednesday of each month, have all been distributed for the month of March.
The next distribution date is Wednesday, April 3, at 10 a.m. at the Community Anderson Education Center, 1923 N. Madison Ave.
Winds whip ditch burn into grass fire
CHURUBUSCO — A northeastern Indiana family trying to clear a ditch by burning off grass had to call firefighters when winds whipped the flames into a fire that scorched more than an acre of land.
Firefighters were called to the Allen County property early Saturday afternoon to douse flames that had spread out of control.
Firefighters prevented the flames from spreading to a nearby collapsed barn.
Special prosecutor gets case vs. marshal
COLUMBUS — A special prosecutor has been appointed to hear allegations of excessive force and harassment against a south-central Indiana town marshal.
Jennings County Prosecutor Alan Marshall has been appointed to hear the case against Elizabethtown Town Marshal Tom Nienaber. Issac McGuire, 19, alleges that Nienaber committed two instances of wrongful behavior during two separate medical emergencies at his family’s home. Nienaber says his actions toward McGuire were warranted.
Man incompetent for trial in wife’s killing
TERRE HAUTE — A western Indiana judge has found a Terre Haute man incompetent to stand trial in his wife’s fatal stabbing.
Vigo County Superior Court Judge David Bolk on Thursday ordered Robert E. Spitler II sent to a state mental health facility for treatment.
Spitler was arrested in September after he called 911 to report that he had stabbed and killed his wife.
Woman sentenced for bilking employer
INDIANAPOLIS — An Indianapolis woman has been sentenced to 29 months in federal prison for allegedly bilking her former employer out of more than $400,000.
Brenda K. Helpling was sentenced Thursday by a federal judge who also ordered her to pay more than $410,000 in restitution. The 52-year-old had pleaded guilty in November to mail fraud.
Court documents show Helpling had been the controller of Frakes Engineering.
76-year-old found dead at casino
GARY — Northwestern Indiana police are investigating the fatal shooting of a 76-year-old woman whose body was found in a parking garage at Gary’s Majestic Star Casino.
Lt. Matt Argadine of Griffith police said Mary Austgen of St. John was reported missing Thursday by relatives she works with at a Griffith business. Her body was found about 4 a.m. Friday in the parking garage at Buffington Harbor. The Lake County coroner’s office lists her cause of death as a single gunshot wound to the lower left torso.
Feds seek shorter bribery sentence
EVANSVILLE — Federal prosecutors are seeking a reduced sentenced for an Indiana man who pleaded guilty to conspiring to bribe contracting officials at a U.S. Army base in Kuwait.
Wajdi Birjas pleaded guilty to bribery and money laundering conspiracy charges in 2010, but his sentencing has been delayed four times. The Evansville man could face more than seven years in prison when he’s sentenced Tuesday in federal court in Evansville.
More meal vouchers available in April
- Local News
- State approves transfer of Mallard Lake permit State officials have approved the transfer of the Mallard Lake landfill permit to its new owners.
- State dentistry board moves forward against Metzner The Indiana State Board of Dentistry voted to approve the cease-and-desist order against Sally Metzner and the Anderson Dental Clinic on Friday night.
- Indiana lawmakers face ambitious agenda in short session Lawmakers are crafting an aggressive agenda for the new year that includes a tax break for businesses, preschool funding for the poor, road spending and a divisive constitutional amendment – all packaged into a so-called “short session” of the Legislature.
- Repairs lead to brown Alexandria water Residents of Alexandria got an unpleasant surprise over the weekend when they tried to use their water. It came out brown.
- Arrest Log: Dec. 10 Arrests made Sunday and Monday by Madison County law enforcement, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Federal official to present Affordable Care Act program A presentation on the Affordable Care Act has been set for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Anderson Public Library. 111 E. 12th St. The session is open to the public.
- School executive pay on ACS meeting agenda Anderson school administrators and executive staff members could get pay raises as a result of today's 6 p.m. school board meeting.
- What's Where: Dec. 10 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Tuesday.
- Local Briefs: Dec.10 A compilation of local and state news as published in the Tuesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Arrest Log: Dec. 9 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Saturday and Sunday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- More Local News Headlines