Vaughn speaker at Historical Society
ANDERSON — On Monday, the Madison County Historical Society’s monthly meeting features speaker Kim Vaughn, director of the Debutante Cotillion-Boutillion and youth director at Allen Chapel AME.
The presentation begins at 7 p.m. in the History Center at 11 W. 11th St. Call 683-0052 with questions.
St. Matthew hosts baby shower
ANDERSON — St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 1512 N. Madison Ave. will host a baby shower for Women’s Alternatives.
Items are to be wrapped (label on the back) and placed in the crib located in the entry of the church by Sunday. Suggested items include: receiving blankets, disposable diapers, baby wipes, onesies, sleepers, 8-oz. plastic bottles, and plastic bathtubs.
Children found malnourished
MUNCIE — A Muncie woman faces preliminary neglect charges after two of her children were found so malnourished one of the youngsters was unable to even lift her head.
Jessica Leanne Jordan is being held on bond following her Wednesday arrest. A probable cause affidavit says Jordan’s 3-year-old daughter weighed just 21 pounds, while her 14-month-old daughter weighed 14 pounds and “appeared to be the size of a baby half her age.”
Daniels won’t lobby for PU this session
WEST LAFAYETTE — Purdue University President Mitch Daniels says he won’t be lobbying state lawmakers on Purdue’s behalf this session because it’s too soon after his departure from the governor’s office.
Daniels became Purdue’s president last week after serving two terms as governor.
Clarksville PD gets pay hike
CLARKSVILLE — Clarksville Police Department officers can expect to receive pay increases in each of the next two years, thanks to an agreement ratified by the Clarksville Town Council.
Effective Jan. 1, the base pay of first-class patrol officers is set at $42,853.73. In 2014, the base pay increases to $43,611.46.
Officers who are promoted receive pay increases based upon rank, and officers with at least five years of service on the force receive longevity increases.
Nude motorist arrested after crash
TERRE HAUTE — Western Indiana police say they arrested a nude motorist who crashed his car into a squad car following a police chase across the city of Terre Haute.
Fifty-eight-year-old James August Hartmann was arrested Thursday on preliminary charges that include public indecency, drunken driving and resisting law enforcement.
Fatal fire likely caused by heater
WARSAW — Fire officials in Warsaw say a house fire that killed one person appears to have been started by a portable heater used to thaw out frozen pipes.
The Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team said Thursday the blaze at a lake home in Warsaw apparently started in the home’s basement, where the portable heater had been set up.
Vaughn speaker at Historical Society
- Local News
- Survivors of violent accident, mother and baby return home from hospital The past two and a half weeks of Rebecca Sperry's life have been a harrowing series of ups and downs.
Democratic congressional candidates discuss issues
The three candidates hoping to become the first Democrat to represent portions of central Indiana in more than 25 years met Wednesday in the only planned debate of the primary campaign.
- Federal trial finds man guilty of 2003 attempted bank robbery, shootout with police A man has been convicted in federal court, more than 10 years after he exchanged gunfire with an Anderson police officer during an attempted bank robbery.
Reservoir opponents take message to Earth Day
Opponents of a proposed reservoir in central Indiana hope to use this weekend's Earth Day festivals to spread the word about their concerns about the $350 million dam project, which would inundate part of a state park known for its ancient earthworks.
- Smoke leads to crash on Indiana 13 A girl was hit by a motorcycle, but not seriously injured, after smoke from a controlled burn limited visibility on Indiana 13 Wednesday afternoon.
Luck, Colts to open season against Manning's Broncos
The Indianapolis Colts will open the 2014 regular season at AFC champion Denver in a Sunday night showdown pitting quarterback Peyton Manning against his former team.
- Arrest Log: April 24 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Tuesday and Wednesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Ritz to speak at APA's Senior Girls Luncheon Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz will be the guest speaker at Anderson Preparatory Academy's Senior Girls Luncheon on April 29.
- What's Where: April 24 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Thursday.
- Hospital's ER Department plans annual golf tournament Community Hospital Anderson’s Emergency Department will host its 12th annual golf tournament on Friday, June 20, at The Edge golf course. The Florida-style scramble will begin with a Lifeline helicopter liftoff at 1 p.m.
- More Local News Headlines