By Jack Molitor The Herald Bulletin
The Herald Bulletin
---- — ANDERSON — A quick and heavy-hitting rainstorm knocked down several trees and killed power to nearly 1,000 homes around the city Thursday evening.
The storm entered the county at about 7 p.m. and swept through only about an hour later, but dumped from an inch to an inch and a half throughout the county. Gale force winds brought down trees and caused 39 different outages throughout the city, knocking out power to more than customers, according to the Anderson Municipal Light and Power website.
The Madison County Emergency Management Agency reported being called out to block off a stretch of road near New Columbus Road and 600 South due to downed power lines in need of repair.
Sue Black of Crescent Drive near 38th Street and Raible Avenue reported the storm brought a tree down on her car. Roseanna Gentry reported a power pole split down the middle and brought several power lines down near her house at the intersection of 44th Street and Columbus Avenue. Another caller reported a tree fell on his house in the 1600 block of Fountain Street.
The deluge also cooled temperatures almost 10 degrees, and temperatures are expected to remain relatively cool throughout the weekend, according to the National Weather Service.
The weather service expects a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms Friday, a 60 percent chance on Saturday and a 50 percent chance on Sunday, with rain expected throughout the weekend. Highs are predicted to be in the mid 70s throughout the weekend, and lows in the 60s.
Like Jack Molitor on Facebook and follow him @aggiejack4 on Twitter, or call 640-4883.