SUMMITVILLE, Ind. — A fire threatened a large pallet factory on the town’s main thoroughfare Saturday afternoon.
But firefighters were able to limit the damage to Hurt’s Pallet Repair and Sales factory, and nobody was hurt. Dispatch received a call at about 1:30 p.m. warning that smoke was showing in the factory in the 500 block of Main Street.
When firefighters arrived, they found smoke billowing from vents and windows around the building, and flames had already started to burn some of the pallets inside. Summitville Fire Chief Randy Sizelove reported the blaze was under control in about 20 minutes, and measures were being taken to make sure there wasn’t still a fire in the building’s attic.
“We have the fire under control, but there was some damage inside to a few of the pallets,” Sizelove said.
Thousands of wooden skids and pallets rested in and around the factory, creating a significant hazard if the fire had spread. However, it appeared the damage inside the building was minimal. According to Sizelove, about $10,000 worth of damage was done to the inside of the factory.
Sizelove also reported that the fire marshal determined the cause of the fire was electrical, due to faulty wiring.
Summitville Fire Department, Alexandria Fire Department, Fairmont Township Fire Department and Madison County Emergency Management Agency assisted in bringing the blaze under control.
Like Jack Molitor on Facebook and follow him @aggiejack4 on Twitter, or call 640-4883.