VFW Men’s Auxiliary meets
ANDERSON — The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 266 Men’s Auxiliary will conduct a meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 8.
The post is located at 3210 Columbus Ave.
Alzheimer’s caregiver seminar set
MUNCIE — The Alzheimer’s Association Greater Indiana Chapter will host a free two-part series, “Living with Alzheimer’s for Caregivers: Late-Stage” on from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, May 14 from at the BSU Alumni Center, 2800 W. Bethel Ave., Muncie.
There is no fee to attend, but registration is requested by contacting the Alzheimer’s Association 24/7 Helpline at 800-272-3900.
Annual meeting date changed
ANDERSON — The Madison County Community Health Center has changed the date of its annual meeting to May 28 at 8 a.m. in the Madison County Community Health Center Community Rooms.
Cemetery cleanup on Saturday
DALEVILLE — The spring cleanup of the Mount Pleasant Cemetery, north of Daleville, will be held on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Anyone willing to help spruce up the grounds is welcome. For more information contact, Jean Anthes at 759-8776.
NAMI meetings open to public
ANDERSON — The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Madison County Support and Education meetings are free and open to the public.
Family Support Group: information, advocacy and support for friends and family members. Anderson Library, 111 E. 12th St., third floor, Redbud room, 6 to 7:30 p.m., first and third Thursday of each month, May 2 and 16. Contact: Rick Wood, 208-1515, Namicrwood@hotmail.com.
Connection Recovery Support Group for Consumers, Anderson Public Library check information desk for room. 1st & 3rd Saturday of each month May 4 and 18. Contact Steve Lortz, 642-9120, Stevelortz@gmail.com or Karen Barnard, 606-362-5744.
Blood drive to be held
PENDLETON — A blood drive in honor of Bonnie Porter will be held from 2 to 7 p.m. Monday, at Fall Creek Christian Church in Pendleton. Porter was recently diagnosed with leukemia and will receive about three units of blood each week as part of her treatment. Donors are asked to call 1-800-RED CROSS to schedule an appointment.
Homeownership workshop set
ANDERSON — If you are a first-time homebuyer, and you would like to purchase a home in Delaware, Madison, Blackford, Randolph or Henry County, PathStone can help.
An informational workshop will be held at Cross Lakes Apartments, 1800 Cross Lakes Blvd, Anderson, today from 10 a.m. to noon or 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
This workshop will cover the homeownership program and details will be discussed about a special financial assistance program available to help eligible individuals and families become successful homeowners.
Registration is required by calling 286-2162.
VFW Men’s Auxiliary meets
- Local News
Armed Forces Day at Colts camp pairs Girl Scout cookies with veterans
Pair Girl Scouts and their world-famous cookies with Armed Forces Day at Indianapolis Colts training camp, and you've got a winning combination. Operation: Cookie Drop, as it's called, is a program where customers buy boxes of cookies for delivery to active and retired military throughout central Indiana.
- World War I veteran instilled pride, patriotism John Robert Quinn didn't realize he had been hit by shrapnel until a buddy told him, "John, you've got blood all over your back." They were in southern France serving in a tank battalion alongside the British in World War I.
Rain doesn't dampen Brickyard fans' spirits
Despite threatening skies and chances of rain, fans at the Brickyard 400 were not disheartened by the forecast Sunday. Fans expected the race to be completed and were anticipating an exciting race for the Sprint Cup event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Nurse hoped for lasting peace after World War I Ella Hand’s grave marker in Elwood is simple and unadorned. A stone block, it marks that she was born Sept. 20, 1870, and died Oct. 28, 1937.
- Arrest Log: July 28 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday based on Madison County Jail records.
- What's Where: July 28 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Monday, July 28.
- Markleville Jamboree begins July 31 Is your baby the prettiest? Does your pet do amazing tricks? Do you bake, sew, craft? Do you like tractors? If any of this sounds like you, you're invited to join in the contests at the Markleville Jamboree.
- Arrest Log: July 27 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Friday and Saturday based on Madison County Jail records.
- Harvick dominates qualifying SPEEDWAY — Kevin Harvick dominated the first ever knock-out qualifying for the Brickyard 400, easily capturing the pole position for Sunday’s race.Harvick in the Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet posted the quickest time in all three sessions and was the
- Another golden hour: Couple gives thanks to rescuers On Saturday, the Smalls attended the Adams Markleville fire department’s annual ice cream social to personally thank those they say are responsible for saving Steve’s life.
- More Local News Headlines
- Armed Forces Day at Colts camp pairs Girl Scout cookies with veterans