Literacy Coalition to host meeting
ANDERSON — The Madison County Literacy Coalition, Paradigm Place building, 200 E. 11th St., will host an informational meeting at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, for those interested in volunteering to tutor adults.
Attendees will learn about tutor training, support meetings for tutors, and time commitments for tutoring adult learners. Call 641-0117 to register.
INDOT calls out plow trucks
GREENFIELD — The Indiana Department of Transportation Greenfield Subdistrict is putting 28 plow trucks on state highway snow routes in Hancock, Shelby and Rush counties — with some routes extending into Henry and Madison Counties — in anticipation of snow accumulations with possible drifting.
Drivers from INDOT units at Anderson, Greenfield, Shelbyville and Rushville will be dispatched at 4 a.m.
For updated road conditions, visit www.trafficwise.in.gov or call (800) 261-7623.
Lanane eye sales tax for road needs
INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana lawmakers, including Democratic Senate Minority Leader Tim Lanane, Anderson, looking to plug a hole in state transportation spending are considering diverting the state’s sales tax on gasoline to transportation.
Senate Appropriations Chairman Luke Kenley says dedicating the roughly $500 million generated from the tax should be considered as one option to pay for pressing transportation needs.
School safety proposal overhauled
INDIANAPOLIS — Senate Republicans are in the middle of overhauling a safety measure aimed at better protecting schools after a shooting last month in Connecticut left 20 first-graders dead.
Senate President Pro Tem David Long, R-Fort Wayne, said the $10 million measure should better account for threats outside the classroom.
Bill would legalize switchblades
INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Senate approved a bill that would end the state’s ban on switchblades.
Senators voted 47-0 on Thursday to advance the proposal to the House. Bill sponsor Sen. Jim Tomes of Wadesville says the ban is outdated and removing it would help people with disabilities or arthritis. Emergency workers would benefit from being able to quickly open a knife by pressing a button, Tomes said.
Literacy Coalition to host meeting
- Local News
Luck, Colts to open season against Manning's Broncos
The Indianapolis Colts will open the 2014 regular season at AFC champion Denver in a Sunday night showdown pitting quarterback Peyton Manning against his former team.
- Survivors of violent accident, mother and baby return home from hospital The past two and a half weeks of Rebecca Sperry's life have been a harrowing series of ups and downs.
- Federal trial finds man guilty of 2003 attempted bank robbery, shootout with police A man has been convicted in federal court, more than 10 years after he exchanged gunfire with an Anderson police officer during an attempted bank robbery.
Reservoir opponents take message to Earth Day
Opponents of a proposed reservoir in central Indiana hope to use this weekend's Earth Day festivals to spread the word about their concerns about the $350 million dam project, which would inundate part of a state park known for its ancient earthworks.
- Colts donate $18,000 to city cleanup campaign A donation of $18,000 from the Indianapolis Colts will cover the costs of the city's participation in the 30th annual Rev. JT Menifee Cleanup campaign.
- Arrest Log: April 24 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Tuesday and Wednesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Ritz to speak at APA's Senior Girls Luncheon Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz will be the guest speaker at Anderson Preparatory Academy's Senior Girls Luncheon on April 29.
- What's Where: April 24 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Thursday.
- Hospital's ER Department plans annual golf tournament Community Hospital Anderson’s Emergency Department will host its 12th annual golf tournament on Friday, June 20, at The Edge golf course. The Florida-style scramble will begin with a Lifeline helicopter liftoff at 1 p.m.
- Local & State Briefs: April 24 A compilation of local and state news as published in the Thursday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- More Local News Headlines
- Luck, Colts to open season against Manning's Broncos