Relay blood drive on Saturday
ANDERSON — The Madison County Relay For Life 2013 blood drive will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Mounds Mall (in the old Maurice’s location).
Donors are still needed. You may schedule your appointment at www.donorpoint.org.
UAW 1963 hosts rummage sale
ANDERSON — UAW Local 1963, corner of Madison Avenue and 29th Street, will have a rummage sale and a chili lunch from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Chili will be served from 11 a.m. until it runs out. Cost is $5 for a homemade chili, peanut butter sandwich and choice of drink.
Booth space is $10 for the first table, $5 for each additional table. Call Carolyn at 610-4796, Kim at 620-1303 or Olunda at 610-9108.
Choirs to perform Sunday
ANDERSON — Anderson Area Children’s Choir & Youth Chorale will present its spring concert at 3 p.m. Sunday in the sanctuary of First United Methodist Church, 1215 Jackson St.
The public is invited to hear all of the choirs in the final concert of the season. The concert is free.
Mayor backs police after shooting
FORT WAYNE — The mayor of Fort Wayne is assuring residents of Indiana’s second-largest city that public safety is a top priority of his administration after the second fatal police-action shooting in five days and the fourth in just over 10 weeks.
After police officers fatally shot a man who was shooting at them and nearby homes Thursday, Mayor Tom Henry issued a statement supporting Police Chief Rusty York and his department.
Pence unhurt in crash
INDIANAPOLIS — Authorities say Gov. Mike Pence’s state sport-utility vehicle was hit in a crash Thursday morning in downtown Indianapolis but the governor was not injured.
State police Capt. David Bursten says the governor’s Chevrolet Tahoe was struck after a driver ran a stop sign near an entrance ramp to Interstates 65 and 70.
Fire chief face felony counts
MARION — Prosecutors say the former fire chief of Marion faces 14 felony counts for trading vacation and sick time for cash, taking bonuses he wasn’t entitled to and taking items for personal use.
The Grant County Prosecutor’s Office says Stephen Gorrell was involved in a “pattern of racketeering” from 2006 to 2011, the year he retired.
100 Muncie trees spared
MUNCIE — Some 100 trees along the White River through Muncie will stand after federal officials reconsidered an order that they be cut down. The Army Corps of Engineers had initially wanted the Muncie Sanitary District to remove some 130 trees from the river’s flood levee, but have lowered that to about 20 trees.
Relay blood drive on Saturday
- Local News
CB Fabricating makes $2 million investment
A local business founded in 2006 has invested $2 million in new equipment and a building expansion.
County voting records sought in federal probe
A federal grand jury has subpoenaed absentee ballot information for Madison County's 2014 primary as part of an FBI investigation.
Supreme Court observers predict ‘wide open’ process of choosing next chief
State Supreme Court Chief Justice Brent Dickson surprised observers in June when he decided to step down after a brief tenure in the leadership post.
Man believed to have caused traffic accident suspected of drug possession
An Alexandria man with a history of involvement with methamphetamine is back in police custody under suspicion of possession and driving while intoxicated.
Two hospitalized after Sunday crash
Two people were hospitalized after a motorcycle-vehicle accident near Pendleton Sunday evening.
- Arrest Log: July 29 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Sunday and Monday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- 50th reunion for Mount Olive Boy Scout Troop 433 Mount Olive Boy Scout Troop 433 of Marion is having a 50th Boy Scout anniversary on Saturday, Sept. 6.
- Local and State Briefs: July 29 A compilation of local and state news as published in the Tuesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- World War I veteran instilled pride, patriotism John Robert Quinn didn't realize he had been hit by shrapnel until a buddy told him, "John, you've got blood all over your back." They were in southern France serving in a tank battalion alongside the British in World War I.
- Arrest Log: July 28 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday based on Madison County Jail records.
- More Local News Headlines
- CB Fabricating makes $2 million investment