Mounds Friends to meet Thursday
ANDERSON — The Friends of Mounds State Park will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Nature Center to discuss their main fundraiser: the May 18 plant sale.
They will also discuss the new shelter house, spring house trail and Bronnenberg House open house set for June 23.
The public is invited to the meeting; refreshments will be served.
Coats’ mobile office to stop in Cicero
CICERO — A staff member of U.S. Sen. Dan Coats, R-Ind., will visit Cicero from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday to assist Hoosiers experiencing problems with a federal agency.
The mobile office will be at Hamilton North Public Library, 209 W. Brinton St.
American Legion Post 127 meets
ANDERSON — The American Legion Post 127, 4118 Columbus Ave., will have a meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 14.
Retired teachers host pitch-in at park
ANDERSON — The Madison County Retired Teachers will have a pitch-in at noon on Monday, May 20, at Davis Park Shelter House, Indiana 32 (east of Layton Road). Each member is asked to bring a favorite dish to share. Chicken, drinks and tableware will be furnished.
New members, spouses and friends are welcome to attend. Speaker will be Dennis Lanane, who will be reporting on recent initiatives of the Madison County Triad and several state and local senior support organizations with which he is affiliated. A slate of officers will be presented.
Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. and cost is $6. RSVP by Wednesday to Ross Buckman at 643-5462 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Heart education program Thursday
MUNCIE — “Mom and Me Beat Heart Disease” is an education program on Thursday at the Ball State University Alumni Center.
From 5:30 to 7 p.m., there will be a health and education fair. At 7 p.m., Linda Daniel, PhD, director, IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Residency, will present the hour-long program, “Healthy Families for a Healthy Community.”
Used computer sale by APL Friends
ANDERSON — Friends of the Anderson Public Library will have a used computer sale Friday and Saturday from noon to 4:30 p.m. during their regular monthly book sale.
The computer sale will feature used library computers, monitors, mice, keyboards, telephones, scanners, cables, and other electronic equipment and accessories.
Items will be priced at $30 or less and sold as is. The computer sale will be in the Delaware Room at the Main Library, 111 E. 12th St.
Health Center to host workshop
ANDERSON — Today at 6:30 p.m., the Madison County Community Health Center will host a Diabetes Workshop “Power over Diabetes” at its facility, 1547 Ohio Ave.
The goal of the workshop is to create awareness about diabetes, management and treatment of the disease.
For more information, call Kim Rayford at 641-2601, ext 124.
Mounds Friends to meet Thursday
- Local News
FEMA approves disaster aid for 19 counties
After initially rejecting Indiana's request for federal aid following a brutal winter, the Federal Emergency Management Agency approved disaster relief on Tuesday.
Parents speak out about mother coaching baseball after gun incident
A decision by the Brooklyn Little League to keep a mother who pulled a gun out during a school meeting on the league as a coach and board member has resulted in some parents taking sides on the issue.
- Rezoning approved for Elks Lodge building With no objections from surrounding property owners, the former Elks Lodge at 1803 Broadway has been rezoned for a planned banquet hall and catering service.
Incumbent challenged by first-time candidate
Kelly Gaskill says she's made numerous improvements in the operation of the Madison County treasurer's office since taking the helm in 2011. But her Republican challenger in the May 6 primary, Micah Mitchell, doesn't shy away from criticizing how Gaskill has run the office.
Symphony for Kids draws Anderson-area students
Nearly 1,000 fifth- and sixth-grade students attended the Anderson Symphony Orchestra's performance Tuesday during the annual Symphony for Kids concert at the Paramount Theatre.
- Arrest Log: April 23 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Monday and Tuesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Food Truckin' Thursday returns ANDERSON -- A new favorite that combines food and cars is rolling back into town next week. Food Truckin' Thursday starts back up May 1. For about six months, local vendors will pull up their food trucks to Citizens Park Plaza at Ninth and Main stree
- Tigers nip Argylls in girls track meet ALEXANDRIA -- Kelsey Crisp had a trio of firsts and a second place finish and her Alexandria Tigers needed every one of those as they nipped Madison-Grant 61-60 in a girls dual track meet here Tuesday. Crisp won the 100, the 400 and the long jump and
- Saturday auction fundraiser for Misty Eads On Saturday, a fundraiser auction will be held at Florida Station Church of God, 1045 W. 375N, for Misty Eads who has a rare kidney artery disease called polyarteritis nodosa that requires a kidney transplant.
- What's Where: April 23 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Wednesday.
- More Local News Headlines
- FEMA approves disaster aid for 19 counties