Library to host self-defense program
ANDERSON — Anderson Public Library, 111 E. 12th St., Anderson, will host a free self-defense program for women from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday.
The program will consist of strikes and countermeasures along with escape techniques to help one defend themselves against a would-be attacker. Safety information will also be provided.
The program will be instructed by a sixth-degree black belt, Ed Leonard.
The program is open to females over the age of 13. Register at www.andersonlibrary.net or by calling 641-2456.
Free Parkinson’s Therapy seminar
MUNCIE — Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital is offering a free seminar on Parkinson’s Therapy from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at IU Health Ball Memorial Rehabilitation Center, 3300 W. Community Drive, Muncie.
Dr. John Wulff, neurologist with Neurology of Eastern Indiana and a member of the IU Health Ball Memorial medical staff, will discuss recent advances in therapy treatment for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
To register call 741-1073 or (800) 237-9625.
No MOB registration this month
ANDERSON — There will be no Merchants Older Buddies (MOB) registration this month. The next registration will be Thursday, June 13 from 12:30 to 2:15 p.m. at Park Place Community Center, 802 E. 5th St.
The registration offers discounts to those 60 years of age and older at various area merchants for a one-time fee of $4.
For more information, call Haskell Counts at 643-8843.
Korean War vets meet Monday
ANDERSON — The Anderson Tri-County Chapter 308 of KWWA (Korean War Veterans Association) will meet at noon Monday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 266, 3210 Columbus Ave.
Any veterans of the Korean War or veterans who served in Korea are invited to attend.
For more information call Chapter Commander Ray Turpen at 643-7196.
Health Fair today at CrownPointe
ANDERSON — A Physicians Care Spring Health Fair will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. today at CrownPointe Senior Living Communities, 2727 CrownPointe Circle, Anderson.
Guest speakers will be Dr. David Mares, pulmonary care; Dr. Li, vision care; Dr. Carrie Dixon, clinical psychologist. Speakers will begin at 2 p.m.
For more information contact Debbie Thompson at 641-9995 or Pat Parker at 810-6091.
Cox bereavement group speaker
ANDERSON — Dr. Glen Cox, executive director of the Christian Counseling Center of Madison County, will speak at the 7 p.m. Thursday meeting for the Bereavement Support Ministry. The group meets at Bethany Christian Church, 1920 N. Rangeline Road.
His topic will be “Re-entering the Flow of Life.” Call the church at 643-5713 for more information.
Library to host self-defense program
- Local News
Luck, Colts to open season against Manning's Broncos
The Indianapolis Colts will open the 2014 regular season at AFC champion Denver in a Sunday night showdown pitting quarterback Peyton Manning against his former team.
- Survivors of violent accident, mother and baby return home from hospital The past two and a half weeks of Rebecca Sperry's life have been a harrowing series of ups and downs.
- Federal trial finds man guilty of 2003 attempted bank robbery, shootout with police A man has been convicted in federal court, more than 10 years after he exchanged gunfire with an Anderson police officer during an attempted bank robbery.
Reservoir opponents take message to Earth Day
Opponents of a proposed reservoir in central Indiana hope to use this weekend's Earth Day festivals to spread the word about their concerns about the $350 million dam project, which would inundate part of a state park known for its ancient earthworks.
- Smoke leads to crash on Indiana 13 A girl was hit by a motorcycle, but not seriously injured, after smoke from a controlled burn limited visibility on Indiana 13 Wednesday afternoon.
- Arrest Log: April 24 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Tuesday and Wednesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Ritz to speak at APA's Senior Girls Luncheon Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz will be the guest speaker at Anderson Preparatory Academy's Senior Girls Luncheon on April 29.
- What's Where: April 24 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Thursday.
- Hospital's ER Department plans annual golf tournament Community Hospital Anderson’s Emergency Department will host its 12th annual golf tournament on Friday, June 20, at The Edge golf course. The Florida-style scramble will begin with a Lifeline helicopter liftoff at 1 p.m.
- Colts donate $18,000 to city cleanup campaign A donation of $18,000 from the Indianapolis Colts will cover the costs of the city's participation in the 30th annual Rev. JT Menifee Cleanup campaign.
- More Local News Headlines
- Luck, Colts to open season against Manning's Broncos