Landlord, utility meeting Friday
ANDERSON — A meeting for landlords will be held in Anderson City Hall auditorium from 2 to 4 p.m., Friday, May 31.
Anderson City Utilities Assistant Manager Judy Doucette will present information over policy changes, new services offered and a “rundown of requirements.”
Landlords will be asked to participate in the meeting by filling out a one page form to help identify fraudulent leases.
For more information contact Susie Stapleton at 648-6209.
Summer reading program set
ANDERSON — All ages can sign up for the Summer Reading Program (SRP) from June 1 to July 31 at Anderson Public Library and the Lapel Branch. The library has hundreds of prizes to award — all participants have to do is read.
There are SRP-themed programs and events for kids and teens all summer long. Adults can attend one of the free computer classes to expand their skills, or stop by the monthly Friends of the Library book sale for bargains on gently used books and more. With a library card residents can also download eBooks and music for free, check out some beach reads or audiobooks for a road trip, or a stack of movies.
For more information, visit www.andersonlibrary.net or call 641-2456.
Skelton museum gets $65K
VINCENNES, Ind. — A museum devoted to the comedy of Indiana-born comic Red Skelton has received a $65,000 boost for its planned July opening in southwestern Indiana.
The contribution announced Wednesday by the Old National Bank Foundation increases the financial backing for the new Red Skelton Museum of American Comedy to $100,000. The museum is scheduled to open July 18 at Vincennes University.
Skelton died in 1997.
Officials fired in bank scheme
INDIANAPOLIS — The city of Indianapolis has fired two officials with a city program that sells vacant and tax-delinquent properties following their indictments on charges of accepting bribes and kickbacks.
Twenty-nine-year-old Reggie Walton and 27-year-old John Hawkins had initially been suspended without pay, but Mayor Greg Ballard’s office said Friday that both men have been fired.
Three other people connected with property buyers have also been charged in the alleged scheme.
Three arrested for prostitution
KOKOMO — Kokomo police continued putting pressure on local strip clubs by arresting three more dancers on prostitution charges Thursday. Arrested were Christian M. Hurst, 21, Amy Turbeville, 25, and Shayla M. Thomas, 18.
Chief Rob Baker said the investigation is ongoing and more arrests are expected.
Team reunites for IU commercial
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — A creative team that helped make the movie “Hoosiers” has reunited to create a 60-second commercial touting the benefits of an Indiana University education.
Filmmakers Angelo Pizzo and Fred Murphy teamed up for the commercial that follows an aspiring opera singer through her audition for IU’s Jacobs School of Music to a professional performance.
Landlord, utility meeting Friday
- Local Briefs
- What's Where: Aug. 20 Local meeting and events as published in the Wednesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Local Briefs: Aug. 20 A compilation of local and state news as published in the Wednesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Community Briefs: Aug. 20 A compilation of community news items as published in the Wednesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Arrest Log: Aug. 20 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Monday and Tuesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Briefs: Aug. 19 News items of local and state interest as published in the Tuesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- What's Where: Aug. 19 Local meetings and activities scheduled for Tuesday.
- State police seek recruits The Indiana State Police is accepting applications for the 75th Recruit Academy. Individuals who are interested in beginning a career as a state trooper may apply online.
- Arrest Log: Aug. 19 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Sunday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Community Briefs: Aug. 19 A compilation of community news items as published in the Tuesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
Arrest Log: Aug. 18
Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Saturday and Sunday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- More Local Briefs Headlines