Man pinned under truck’s wheels dies
NEW HAVEN — Northeastern Indiana police say a 50-year-old man died after he became pinned beneath the back wheels of a large truck.
New Haven police are still investigating how Todd Fritcha of New Haven became trapped Friday morning under the trucks’ wheels about 400 yards off of Lincoln Highway East. The Allen County coroner’s office ruled Fritch died from blunt force trauma, with the manner of death an accident.
Pastor, wife facing sex charges
MARTINSVILLE — A former central Indiana pastor and his wife face sexual misconduct and several other charges stemming from their alleged involvement with a minor.
Jonathan Harness, 43, of Morgantown appeared Thursday for an initial hearing in Morgan Superior Court on charges of sexual misconduct with a minor, sexual battery, criminal deviate conduct, neglect and intimidation. Harness was formerly the pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship church in Morgantown, but the church has been disbanded.
Harness’ wife, Buffy Harness, 44, faces charges of sexual misconduct with a minor, criminal deviate conduct, sexual battery and neglect.
NWS confirms third tornado hit state
INDIANAPOLIS — The National Weather Service confirmed that a third tornado struck Indiana last week as a wave of severe weather swept across the state.
The weather service said Friday a survey team determined that a tornado ranking as an EF0 on the Fujita scale with estimated 80 mph winds hit the southeast side of the central Indiana city of Crawfordsville on Feb. 20 before dissipating near Darlington.
That storm damaged outbuildings, stripped shingles from homes and damaged part of a truck stop’s canopy.
Boiler malfunction blamed for farm fire
CUTLER — Investigators are blaming a boiler malfunction for sparking a fire that killed more than 1,000 hogs as it swept through barns on a central Indiana farm.
The fire that broke out Wednesday completely destroyed two barns at the farm near Cutler. Cutler Fire Chief Cody Miller said that farm workers were doing routine maintenance on the boiler and it malfunctioned when they turned it back on. Fire crews saved about 400 hogs.