Senior housing is Triad meeting topic
ANDERSON — Triad will host a meeting about local senior housing facilities at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the Anderson Mounds Mall theater area. Triad has invited several senior facilities to talk about what kind of activities they offer, costs, transportation and other attractions that seniors might be looking for.
Information handouts will be available for attendees.
BSU, Community create academy
MUNCIE — Ball State University and Community Health Network are creating an accelerated, three-year bachelor’s degree program to increase the number of registered nurses in Indiana.
The program called the Nursing Academy will combine traditional classes on campus and online and video-conferencing instruction. Ball State says the program will accept 48 students each year.
Highway 38 Sale spaces offered
MARKLEVILLE — Spaces are now available for the Highway 38 Sale in the Markleville Park.
Cost is $10.
For more information or to secure a space, call Betty Weist at 623-3553.
Man faces sentencing in mosque fire
TOLEDO, Ohio — A former Marine from Indiana is set to be sentenced after admitting he started a fire inside a mosque in Ohio because he wanted revenge for the killings of American soldiers overseas.
A deal between federal prosecutors and Randy Linn of St. Joe, Ind., calls for him to receive a 20-year sentence at a hearing scheduled Tuesday afternoon in Toledo.
A U.S. District Court judge turned down Linn’s attempt last month to withdraw his guilty plea.
Crews pour concrete for new bridge
MADISON — Construction crews have begun pouring concrete for the deck of a new $100 million Ohio River bridge that will link Madison, Ind., and Milton, Ky.
The crews that began pouring concrete Saturday are using a special pumping apparatus to spread the material on the deck of the 2,400-foot-long steel truss bridge.
Kentucky Department of Transportation spokeswoman Andrea Clifford said that once the concrete deck is complete in late spring, preparations will begin for switching traffic from the existing bridge to the new adjacent span.
Cat rescued from freeway sign
ELKHART — A cat rescued after spending two days marooned atop a northern Indiana freeway sign had a voracious appetite when he arrived at a local animal shelter.
The cat was spotted Thursday on a sign near an overpass along U.S. 33 in Elkhart, but police couldn’t find him when they arrived. The next day, however, the Humane Society of Elkhart County received a similar call and shelter workers spotted an orange cat sitting on top of a light on the sign.
Women charged in drug fraud scheme
PERU — A woman’s complaint that someone was illegally obtaining prescription drugs using her name has led to the arrests of two northeastern women on a total of 11 drug counts, Indiana State Police said Tuesday.
Gypsy Shelton, 36, of Lagro use her job as a medical assistant in a Peru medical practice to call in prescriptions for the painkiller Lortab using the names of family members and friends as patients, police said.
Senior housing is Triad meeting topic
- Local Briefs
- Christmas Gift & Craft Show at mall this weekend The Mounds Mall will be filled with holiday magic this weekend as 95 vendors fill the open spaces and offer a vast array of holiday crafts, baked goods, personal and home products of every kind, and items perfect for Christmas gift giving.
- Community Briefs: Dec. 5 A compilation of community news as published in the Thursday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Person of the Year nominations sought The Herald Bulletin needs your help in selecting the 2013 community Person of the Year.
- Local briefs: Dec. 5 A compilation of news items of local and statewide interest published in the Thursday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Arrest Log: Dec. 5 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Tuesday and Wednesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
What's Where: Dec. 5
Local meetings and activities are planned Thursday.
- Ernie's Pet Food Pantry hosting weekend activity Ernie's Heart Pet Food Pantry will host a Christmas Charity Boutique and Open House from 4 to 7 p.m. this Friday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at its new location at 2103 Broadway.
- What's Where: Dec. 4 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Wednesday.
- Arrest Log: Dec. 4 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Monday and Tuesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Community Briefs: Dec. 4 A compilation of community news as published in the Wednesday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- More Local Briefs Headlines