Relay blood drive on Saturday
ANDERSON — The Madison County Relay For Life 2013 blood drive will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Mounds Mall (in the old Maurice’s location).
Donors are still needed. You may schedule your appointment at www.donorpoint.org.
UAW 1963 hosts rummage sale
ANDERSON — UAW Local 1963, corner of Madison Avenue and 29th Street, will have a rummage sale and a chili lunch from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Chili will be served from 11 a.m. until it runs out. Cost is $5 for a homemade chili, peanut butter sandwich and choice of drink.
Booth space is $10 for the first table, $5 for each additional table. Call Carolyn at 610-4796, Kim at 620-1303 or Olunda at 610-9108.
Choirs to perform Sunday
ANDERSON — Anderson Area Children’s Choir & Youth Chorale will present its spring concert at 3 p.m. Sunday in the sanctuary of First United Methodist Church, 1215 Jackson St.
The public is invited to hear all of the choirs in the final concert of the season. The concert is free.
Mayor backs police after shooting
FORT WAYNE — The mayor of Fort Wayne is assuring residents of Indiana’s second-largest city that public safety is a top priority of his administration after the second fatal police-action shooting in five days and the fourth in just over 10 weeks.
After police officers fatally shot a man who was shooting at them and nearby homes Thursday, Mayor Tom Henry issued a statement supporting Police Chief Rusty York and his department.
Pence unhurt in crash
INDIANAPOLIS — Authorities say Gov. Mike Pence’s state sport-utility vehicle was hit in a crash Thursday morning in downtown Indianapolis but the governor was not injured.
State police Capt. David Bursten says the governor’s Chevrolet Tahoe was struck after a driver ran a stop sign near an entrance ramp to Interstates 65 and 70.
Fire chief face felony counts
MARION — Prosecutors say the former fire chief of Marion faces 14 felony counts for trading vacation and sick time for cash, taking bonuses he wasn’t entitled to and taking items for personal use.
The Grant County Prosecutor’s Office says Stephen Gorrell was involved in a “pattern of racketeering” from 2006 to 2011, the year he retired.
100 Muncie trees spared
MUNCIE — Some 100 trees along the White River through Muncie will stand after federal officials reconsidered an order that they be cut down. The Army Corps of Engineers had initially wanted the Muncie Sanitary District to remove some 130 trees from the river’s flood levee, but have lowered that to about 20 trees.
Relay blood drive on Saturday
- Local Briefs
- Arrest Log: April 24 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Tuesday and Wednesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- What's Where: April 24 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Thursday.
- Hospital's ER Department plans annual golf tournament Community Hospital Anderson’s Emergency Department will host its 12th annual golf tournament on Friday, June 20, at The Edge golf course. The Florida-style scramble will begin with a Lifeline helicopter liftoff at 1 p.m.
- Local & State Briefs: April 24 A compilation of local and state news as published in the Thursday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Community Briefs: April 24 A compilation of community news as published in the Thursday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Arrest Log: April 23 Arrests made by Madison County law enforcement on Monday and Tuesday, based on Madison County Jail records.
- Comcast employees volunteer to help Habitat for Humanity On Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Madison County Habitat for Humanity members will work with more than 30 Comcast employees, families and friends to beautify the grounds and participate in light interior remodeling.
- Saturday auction fundraiser for Misty Eads On Saturday, a fundraiser auction will be held at Florida Station Church of God, 1045 W. 375N, for Misty Eads who has a rare kidney artery disease called polyarteritis nodosa that requires a kidney transplant.
- What's Where: April 23 Local meetings and activities are scheduled Wednesday.
Local & State Briefs: April 23
A compilation of local and state news items published Wednesday in The Herald Bulletin.
- More Local Briefs Headlines