Andrew Luck set another rookie record on Sunday.
With his eighth win of the season, he surpassed St. Louis’ Sam Bradford for the most victories by a quarterback taken No. 1 overall in his debut season since 1970.
Luck also threw for 391 yards to pass Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan and Bradford on the all-time rookie passing list. With 3,596 yards this season, Luck now ranks third all-time behind Peyton Manning (3,739) and Cam Newton (4,051) with four games left in the regular season.
Luck also set career highs with four touchdown passes and a 60-yard completion to fellow rookie T.Y. Hilton.
Hilton finished with six catches for 100 yards to break tie with Andre Rison and set the franchise rookie record with his fourth 100-yard receiving game.
Rookie tight end Coby Fleener and rookie wide receiver LaVon Brazill also recorded their first career receiving touchdowns during the contest, and rookie running back Vick Ballard scored the first rushing touchdown of his career.
CUTTING IT CLOSE: The Colts improved to 7-1 this season in games decided by one score or less.
This win marked the first time Indianapolis has won on the final play of regulation since Sept. 30, 1990, when Jack Trudeau threw a 6-yard pass to Bill Brooks at Philadelphia.
The victory also was the franchise’s fourth straight against the Lions, matching a streak led by legendary Johnny Unitas in 1958-59.
BRUCE ALMIGHTY: Arians won his seventh game in relief of head coach Chuck Pagano, who continues his fight against leukemia.
The Colts’ leader now ranks third in NFL history for wins by an in-season replacement. Hamp Pool won nine games with the 1952 L.A. Rams, and Wally Lemm matched that total with the 1961 Houston Oilers.
Don Coryell led the San Diego Chargers to eight wins in 1978.
“Don’t care about the stats,” Arians said. “The only stat that matters is No. 8 (wins). We’ve got a fighting bunch of guys, and we’ve got a fighting coach at home.”
Andrew Luck set another rookie record on Sunday.
- Local Sports
- Lions star plays in national tourneys Liberty Christian senior Chris Nunn, a three-year starting guard for the Lions and Indiana Class Basketball Junior All-Star, took his talents on the road this summer,competing in back-to-back tournaments with his AAU travel team, Team Progeny.
- Dorer scores JEGS win at Anderson Florida driver Steve Dorer has had career moments at Anderson Speedway, and at other times ones he would just like to forget. Dorer recorded the biggest win of his career when he passed Chase Elliott on the final lap in the 2011 Stoops Freightliner Redbud 300. The next year he flipped in Turn 1 during the CRA Super Series event. He scored another highlight Saturday night by winning for the first time with the CRA/JEGS All-Stars Tour event in the Edgewater Woods 100.|ANDERSON — Florida driver Steve Dorer has had career moments at Anderson Speedway, and at other times ones he would just like to forget. Dorer recorded the biggest win of his career when he passed Chase Elliott on the final lap in the 2011 Stoops Fre
- Hoosier Park preparing for 2014 Dan Patch Invitational One of the most highly anticipated days on the harness racing card at Hoosier Park Racing & Casino will take place Aug. 8 as the best in the sport of harness racing will descend upon the seven-eighths mile oval for the 21st edition of the $250,000 Dan Patch Invitational. As part of a weekend long festival of entertainment and racing, 10 of the top-rated pacers in North America will take center stage as they go to post seeking glory in Hoosier Park’s signature harness racing event.
- Riverside falls at regional The Riverfield Little League Senior softball all-star team fell 9-3 to Ohio on Saturday morning and was eliminated from regional competition in the 15-16 year-old division.
Leadville: 'Baddest of the bad'
An Anderson mountain biker will test himself in one of the sport’s biggest events next month. Jeff Mason will be in the Rocky Mountains for the Leadville Trail 100 on Aug. 9.
Riddle again steps down as Frankton coach
For the second time in a storied coaching career at Frankton High School, Dean Riddle has resigned his post as the girls varsity basketball coach.
- Marcum claims Late Model win Morristown driver Jeff Marcum has watched victories in the McGunegill Engine Performance Late Models slip away this season, but that changed Saturday at Anderson Speedway.
- Mireles looks toward future after all-star finale Surrounded by his friends and family near midfield under the lights of Friday night, Elwood’s Sammy Mireles did something he’s never done in his career. The state’s all-time leading rusher freely absorbed a hit.
- Hiatt repeats, Hammel wins first title at tennis classic There was a repeat winner and a first-time winner in the Men's A Singles and Women's A Singles championship matches on Saturday morning at the 34th annual Community Hospital Anderson Tennis Classic.
- Varsity mixed doubles champs crowned at Tennis Classic The scene slightly resembled a war zone and slightly a country club at Anderson University on Thursday afternoon. As Indianapolis Colts personnel started tearing down tennis court bleachers and parked what appeared to be nearly 100 golf carts in preparation for training camp starting on Thursday next week, one of the first titles was handed out in the Community Hospital Anderson Tennis Classic.
- More Local Sports Headlines