- Local Sports
- 2014 THB Girls Basketball Athlete of the Year: Da'Sha Boyd Sometimes when a good team has a large collection of really good talent, it is hard for a single player to emerge as the best player on that team, let alone the best among a collection of 11 teams. Anderson High School senior Da'Sha Boyd came from just such a situation, playing for the Lady Tribe team that was one of only two in this area to win a sectional title.
- Lions celebrate historic run Liberty Christian's basketball program is still basking in the glow of an historic run after winning its first regional championship. On Tuesday night, players, coaches and fans were already looking forward to what could be in store next season.
- Legends expanding horizons Two months ago, Troy Taylor was rushing to make certain the Anderson Legends could play a game. Soon the National Basketball Development Leagues Association franchise could have its pick of leagues in which to play.
- George Bremer: Hats off for local hoops There will be at least one good memory from this endless winter — basketball.
- Lions have not yet reached full roar Here's a thought that could send shivers through the ranks of Class 1A boys basketball programs across the state: Liberty Christian might just be getting started.
Lions' historic run ends at semistate
All the Liberty Christian boys basketball team needed to keep its magical season rolling Saturday afternoon in the Class 1A semistate at Lafayette Jeff was one more run. But it never materialized. Instead, third-ranked Marquette Catholic (20-6) opened the third quarter with a 9-1 spurt to take control of the game and held on for a 72-61 victory that ended the most successful postseason in the Lions' history.
Lions ready for semistate showdown
When DeShon Gibbs was a youngster attending Indiana Christian Academy, he regularly spent his summer days playing pick-up basketball games with friends going to Liberty Christian. Like many before and after, Gibbs quickly realized the potential he was seeing on the court. "I knew something was special with these guys I was playing with," the Lions' senior guard said this week. "And I knew I wanted to be part of it."
- Trust and unity keep Liberty Christian's 'family' flourishing Each time the Liberty Christian boys basketball team breaks down a huddle, the Lions say the word "family" in unison. It's much more than a hollow affirmation. It's one of the keys to the first-time regional champions' success.
- Legends prepare for battle of unbeatens Troy Taylor only knows what he's read on the internet about the Dayton Gem City Slam. But that's more than enough to expect a tight battle Saturday when his Anderson Legends (5-0) face the undefeated visitors at Anderson High School.
- Rick Bramwell: Feeling under the weather, missing out on fish About every three out of four years, I brag about staying outdoors keeping me healthy in the winter. Then the weather changes, and I get a severe sinus infection. For a week, I think my body will heal itself. Finally, I go to Dr. Wright for some horse pills. Everything tastes like burnt cabbage, but I'm getting better — hopefully, well enough to join good friend Bob Porter who is already killing the big Patoka crappie.
- More Local Sports Headlines