- Local Sports
- Trust and unity keep Liberty Christian's 'family' flourishing Each time the Liberty Christian boys basketball team breaks down a huddle, the Lions say the word "family" in unison. It's much more than a hollow affirmation. It's one of the keys to the first-time regional champions' success.
- Legends prepare for battle of unbeatens Troy Taylor only knows what he's read on the internet about the Dayton Gem City Slam. But that's more than enough to expect a tight battle Saturday when his Anderson Legends (5-0) face the undefeated visitors at Anderson High School.
- Rick Bramwell: Feeling under the weather, missing out on fish About every three out of four years, I brag about staying outdoors keeping me healthy in the winter. Then the weather changes, and I get a severe sinus infection. For a week, I think my body will heal itself. Finally, I go to Dr. Wright for some horse pills. Everything tastes like burnt cabbage, but I'm getting better — hopefully, well enough to join good friend Bob Porter who is already killing the big Patoka crappie.
- Lions prepping for stiff semistate test A fever associated with a persistent case of strep throat kept Liberty Christian boys basketball coach Jason Chappell from making the trip to Lafayette Jeff with his team Tuesday. But while the 10th-ranked Lions practiced at the semistate site under the direction of assistant coaches Mike Carey and Ryan Jackson, their leader continued to study Marquette Catholic — the Michigan City-based school that will provide the opposition Saturday at 1 p.m.
Liberty Christian hopes to build off magical regional finish
Like all good legends, this one is still growing. Liberty Christian won its first boys basketball regional championship Saturday by scoring 50 points in the second half, overcoming a 14-point halftime deficit and exorcising the ghosts of a fourth-quarter collapse in last year's final against the same Lafayette Central Catholic team. The night was filled with heroes — seen and unseen — and it's taking awhile for it all to sink in.
- AU baseball continues spring success The Anderson University baseball team defeated Rutgers-Camden 7-2 on Monday in Auburndale, Fla.
- Wow! Lions roar to first regional title Redemption. Liberty Christian's boys basketball team harbored the heartbreak of a fourth-quarter meltdown in the regional final for an entire year. On Saturday night at Case Arena, the 10th-ranked Lions erased a 14-point halftime deficit and defeated No. 7 Lafayette Central Catholic 65-55 for the first regional championship in program history.
- Lions roll to third straight regional final Chris Nunn missed two days of school this week while running a fever. But it was Seton Catholic that was left with a queasy feeling after the Liberty Christian junior's performance in the Class 1A regional semifinals at Case Arena on Saturday afternoon.
Lions enjoying another regional run
Liberty Christian coach Jason Chappell is hoping to lead his Anderson-based school to two wins in the Class 1A regional today and celebrate on the Case Arena floor in the fashion made popular by its namesake.
- Nunn cousins help lead Lions' surge Chris Nunn's arrival coincided with the Liberty Christian's first sectional championship in 2012. When Franklin Nunn arrived a year later, the Lions came within about six minutes of adding their first regional title to the mix.
- More Local Sports Headlines