ANDERSON -- Louise Mae "Susie" Spall was born Dec. 12, 1921, in Hancock County, the youngest of eight children, to Amos and Nettie (Ross) Spall and moved to Madison County at a very early age, living in the Anderson-Pendleton area most of her life.
She was an active member of the Beech Grove Church of the Brethren for many years and Park Place Church of God in recent years. In early years, she taught Sunday school and was actively involved in youth activities. She was sent as Church Delegate to Annual Conference for two years. In 1944, Brethren volunteer service was introduced by the youth and adopted by the General Assembly in 1945.
She graduated from Lapel High School in 1939. She worked at Boicourt's Market, Guide Lamp and Delco Remy during World War II on Special War-related jobs. Owned and operated Susie's Market at 17th and Brown streets from 1945 to 1949. Susie moved to Pendleton and worked at Hardy Plating Co. until the death of her mother in 1952.
She graduated from Holy Cross School of Nursing-Notre Dame South Bend, Ind., in 1955 and worked in the emergency room at St. John's Hospital for one year. She served from 1956-1959 as a nurse at Castaner General Hospital, Castaner, Puerto Rico, under the auspices of the Brethren Volunteer Service Organization. On her return to the Pendleton area in 1959, she assisted in developing the first intensive care unit at Marion County General Hospital in Indianapolis. From 1960 to 1962, she was evening supervisor at St. Joseph Hospital in South Bend, Ind. She returned to Anderson in 1962 and worked in the emergency room at St. John's Hospital while obtaining her Bachelor of Science degree from Anderson (College) University. In 1967, she joined the nursing faculty at Ball State University's School of Nursing, teaching medical-surgical nursing. In 1971, she obtained a master's degree in medical-surgical nursing and curriculum development from Indiana University School of Nursing in Indianapolis. In 1973, she assisted in the development of the department of nursing associate degree program for Anderson (College) University. From 1977-1982, she chaired the department. During the years 1975-1982, she took a contingent of student nurses for work study to Castaner General Hospital, Castaner, Puerto Rico for a January Tri-S experience. On leaving Anderson University, she rejoined Ball State University School of Nursing and developed curriculum for their associate degree program. She retired from Nursing Education in 1986.