ANDERSON, Ind. —
Each Monday, The Herald Bulletin publishes “You Said It,” a compilation of reader comments from www.theheraldbulletin.com.
Gov. Mike Pence explains his vision for Indiana in his first State of the State speech. (Article published Jan. 23)
- “Democrats already attacking the governor. I wish our elected politicians would stop their fighting and do the work of the people on all levels of government. Pass a budget, secure citizens rights, cut spending. Those things are much more productive instead of finger pointing all the time on everything.”
- “I’d rather poke screwdrivers in my ears than listen to him.”
- “Going to be a long four years.”
THB: Let the games begin.
Guns in the news and letters to the editor about guns very popular this week. (Jan. 21-25)
- “For the life of me, I don’t understand the fascination with guns. Don’t own one, never even held one and don’t want to. The Second Amendment was written at a time in history where everybody needed a gun to hunt for food and protect themselves from attacks from Indians and even wild animals. This is not the 1700s. I realize guns don’t kill people, that people kill people; that’s why, in my opinion, only those trained like the police and military should have guns. Maybe if nobody else had guns even the military and police would find their usage at a minimal.”
- “A single sociopath was able to kill 32 people and wound 17 others in two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, before committing suicide himself at Virginia Tech where it was not legal for even students holding licenses to carry a concealed weapon to carry a gun on that campus — somehow it doesn’t seem that such a restriction worked out too well for those who were killed or injured in that massacre. It’s trite but true that when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, and we see how well that worked out at Virginia Tech.”
THB: Gun ownership and the right to bear arms are shaping up to be the major topics of the year.
Dog rescued from icy pond on city’s south side. (Jan. 24)
- “Thanks to all the rescue personnel on such a cold, frigid day. You are all appreciated by what you did for this Lab. They do like to chase ducks!”
- “I listened to this call on the scanner. Good job guys ... hope they find the owners of this beautiful dog.” (Note: The dog and owner were reunited.)
- ““They say dog is man’s best friend, but in this case, I’d say man returned the favor. Good job, dive team!”
- “Oh, I hope the poor dog is OK! Bless his/her little heart! Kudos to the rescue teams and their efforts!”
THB: Max, the dog is fine, according to owner. Those who rescued him deserve a great big attaboy!
The Anderson Drug Task Force arrests five in two lab raids. ( Jan. 25)
- “Stop making meth in Anderson! You’re not wanted there! I think the Drug Task Force is doing an awesome job! Get em all! Good Riddance!”
THB: It’s a lethal scourge that appears to be growing with people’s greed.