The Herald Bulletin

February 22, 2014

Back in the News: Feb. 23


The Herald Bulletin

---- — The Herald Bulletin looks back at stories from The Anderson Daily Bulletin and The Anderson Herald newspapers.

10 Years Ago – 2004

Feb. 25 – Fortune Management has outstanding bills amounting to more than $703,000 to subcontractors and suppliers for work done in downtown Anderson. Officials with Fortune Management informed Anderson city officials on Monday that they would not be able to repay the $1.9 million borrowed from the city and $1.9 million obtained from local financial institutions on March 1. According to the Madison County court administrator’s office, there are eight lawsuits filed against Fortune Management.

Feb. 26 – Two bystanders acted quickly Wednesday afternoon when a car burst into flames in the parking lot of Dollar General Store, 409 S. Scatterfield Road, Anderson. They managed to extinguish the flames on the driver, Dino Elmore, 47, of Indianapolis, who suffered burns on his legs and smoke inhalation. Elmore was taken by helicopter to Wishard Hospital in Indianapolis where he was treated and released. “I was pulling in when this car was pulling out and suddenly started burning,” said John McPhearson of Alexandria. “I pulled my vehicle out of the way and went over to help.” A second bystander also assisted but left the scene and was unidentified.

25 Years Ago – 1989

Feb. 23 – Mayor J. Mark Lawler and Anderson’s economic development staff say they’ll “come running” when a business prospect calls. And that’s the message they hope to communicate through a new advertisement scheduled to appear in the March issue of Indiana Business magazine. “It sends out the right signal. It’s an aggressive signal,” said Jay Julian, assistant economic development director. City officials have placed the two-color, $1,000 ad in the magazine as part of their ongoing efforts to attract new business and industry to the city.

Feb. 25 – If you saw a bearded man walking around Anderson carrying a nine-foot cross and asked yourself what was going on, then Gary Addison has accomplished his mission. “People ask, ‘What is that guy doing carrying that cross around?’ The pure fact that they have asked themselves that question shows they’re asking themselves questions deeper inside. Deep inside, we all know there’s more to come, a part two,” Addison said. Addison, 28, is an Anderson resident of ardent faith who’s a janitor for the South Madison Community School Corp., and a member of Good News Fellowship, 1820 Lindbergh Road. Since Christmas Day 1988, Addison has spent his free time carrying a cross on thoroughfares in Anderson, Muncie and points elsewhere.

50 Years Ago – 1964

Feb. 26 – More than two dozen uniformed policemen and civil defense patrolmen will be on duty this evening at the Anderson High School Wigwam to eliminate traffic congestion and prevent any outbreaks among fans, Anderson Police Chief Doyle Wright announced yesterday. Seven Civilian Defense men will be in the streets around the gymnasium, and others will handle parking in the lots. Chief Wright urges fans to double-up in driving and to park in the first legal place the see within walking distance of the Wigwam.

Feb. 28 – Nationally and regionally known leaders from many denominations will speak in 43 Anderson area churches during the Simultaneous Evangelistic Effort, March 1-15. The city-wide program, unique in religious history here, begins Sunday afternoon in a mass rally at Anderson High School gymnasium with Dr. Lawrence Lacour, Nashville, Tenn., widely known Methodist evangelism leader, as speaker.

100 Years Ago – 1914

Feb. 24 – Fire originating in the Anderson Club rooms, on the third floor of the McCullough-Durbin block, 11-17 W. Ninth St., damaged the building and contents to the extent of $5,000. The blaze is thought to have been caused by electric wires at the switch board in the rear of the Anderson club. The fire shot up into the attic of the building where the greatest damage was done. The loss from water was much greater than the loss from fire, as several rooms were completely soaked when fighting the blaze. It was necessary to cut a hole in the dance floor of the ball room to let the water out.

Feb. 28 – Mrs. Hutch Woods, 1721 W. Ninth St., called the police station last night asking that a policeman be sent to her home in order to help her procure her children who were in the custody of her husband whom she alleged was intoxicated. Patrolman Vandergrift answered the call and found the husband sound asleep and the children also in bed. The wife asked that her husband not be arrested and she went to the home of a neighbor for the night.

Compiled by Elmore Hammes for The Herald Bulletin