Forrest’s other Boone Township creation was the town of Forrestville. Platted and laided out in lots in July 1850, Forrestville consisted of John Forrest and his family initially. The town grew to include a church, a school (which was also built on John Forrest’s land), a general store and a post office. The post master was John Forrest. Forrest continued to be a prominent man in the community. He was Justice of the Peace for 12 years, an important office in a remote, rural area. He was also swamp commissioner. As time went on, Forrest became involved in politics. He started out as a Democrat, but became involved in the Grange movement, a political party which advocated better conditions for farmers and the abolition of most large banks. In the 1870’s Forrest ran unsuccessfully for the state legislature on the Grange ticket. Forrest was also a passionate advocate of the temperance movement and worked hard to keep Boone Township “dry.” He was fond of saying that in the early days of log rollings in Boone Township, there was no sign of a jug of whisky and he wanted to keep it that way.
Forrestville grew slowly as settlers came to Boone Township. By 1870, there were about 100 people living in Forrestville. The town had a blacksmith, a school and a church, but little else to draw new residents. (One amenity that Forrestville did have was a doctor, who was the son of a local resident.) Prosperity, which had probably seemed just around the corner in early years, never arrived. The railroad, which was talked about and which Forrest believed would come through, never did. A trip to Anderson still took two days. Forrestville lost its post office by 1875 and by that time John Forrest must have realized that Forrestville was never going to grow. He died in 1887 and after his death the town began to die. When John Forkner and Byron Dyson wrote their history of Madison County in 1897, they reported that it had all but disappeared. It may not have helped that Forrest’s neighbor, Enoch McMahan, died in a horrific fire a year after Forrest’s death. McMahan and his hired man, Henry Streets, were trapped in McMahan’s barn and burned to death in front of friends and neighbors who had come to help fight the fire. Forrestville became a ghost town. A church building stood into the twentieth century, but it is long gone now. Today there is only one thing marks the place where Forrestville once was.
Forrestville Cemetery, established in 1850, lies on County Road 1650 North, amid farms and fields. Standing in the cemetery and looking around, it’s almost impossible to imagine that a town, even a small one, once stood there, but it is all that is left of the lost town of Forrestville.