George Jones coming to Emens March 16
MUNCIE — George Jones in the final tour of his career — “The Grand Tour” — is coming to Ball State University’s Emens Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, March 16.
Tickets go on sale at 11 a.m. Friday at the Emens box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, online at Ticketmaster.com, or charge at (800) 745-3000.
Alex Christmas parade set for Friday
ALEXANDRIA — “O Little Town of ... Alexandria,” the Alexandria Christmas Parade, will be held at 6 p.m. Friday in downtown Alexandria.
Entries are free but those participating need to register by 5:15 p.m. at the parking lot of Cornerstone Church at Sullivan and Tyler streets.
Last-minute entry forms can be picked up at the Alexandria Monroe Chamber of Commerce, 125 N. Wayne St. For more information, email email@example.com.
‘Holiday Sampler’ to benefit the arts
ANDERSON — A “Holiday Sampler” of food, entertainment and art is planned for 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday at The Anderson Center for the Arts, 32 W. 10th St.
The come-and-go event, being hosted by The Anderson’s board of directors, is a fundraiser for Tasting the Arts, a collaborative effort of the Arts Center, Anderson Symphony Orchestra, Paramount Theatre Centre and Anderson Young Ballet Theatre.
Several of TACA’s caterers will provide some of their specialties, and Rick Vale will entertain.
The cost is $30 per person. For reservations, call Deborah Stapleton at 649-1248.
Chicken noodles on Saturday menu
ANDERSON — An all-you-can-eat chicken noodles dinner will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Cross Roads United Methodist Church, 2000 N. Scatterfield Road. Carryout meals will be available.
Tickets are $7 for those 12 and over; $5 for children ages 5 to 11 and those under the age of 4 eat free.
Frisch’s offers free Santa photos
ANDERSON — Frisch’s Big Boy, 500 Broadway, will offer free photos with Santa from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each Saturday in December.
Area schools’ Class of 1959 to meet
ANDERSON — The area high school classes of 1959 will meet for lunch on Tuesday, Dec. 4, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Elks Lodge 209, 1803 Broadway.
The group meets the first Tuesday of the month. Classmates and their guests are invited to attend.
For more information, call Bob Jackson at 642-4049 or Sandy Flowers at 642-1445.
Free senior movie is Monday at Mall
ANDERSON — The free senior movie is returning to the Anderson Mounds Mall 10 Theatre on Monday for the 10 a.m. showing of “Left Behind World at War.”
Doors to the theater open at 9:30 a.m. and there will be refreshments provided before the show. Be sure to register for door prizes before entering the theater. The movie is free to adults 55 and older as well as all accompanying friends and family.
For more information, call Jeremy at Edgewater Woods at 208-5838.
George Jones coming to Emens March 16
- Anderson inspiration Art inspired by the landscape of Anderson has found a new home after prominently hanging in the prestigious 21st Annual Coors Western Art Exhibition & Sale in Denver, Colo. Several oil paintings fashioned by local artist David Michael Slonim were sold, including one for $9,500.
- Re-entering society Transitional housing for women re-entering society after incarceration has been available through the faith-based Sister 2 Sister program since December 2009, but the facility has only been able to house four women at a time. The ministry recently purchased a house that will service three times as many women.
- Community Briefs: March 9 A compilation of community news items as published in the Sunday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Anderson library launches online tutoring service Anderson Public Library has launched a new program that offers students of all ages live, one-to-one help from professional tutors online.
- What's Where: March 9-15 Local meetings and activities are planned this week.
- Remembering Anderson sectionals of yesteryear Before the Indiana High School Athletic Association initiated class ball prior to the in 1997-98 season, there was a celebrated event called the Anderson sectional.
- In Service: March 9 A compilation of news items featuring Madison County residents serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Jottings: March 9 The following are brief Jottings items of local interest.
- Back in the News: March 9 The Herald Bulletin looks back at stories from the Anderson Daily Bulletin and The Anderson Herald newspapers.
- Howard Hewitt: Wine and food pairings As you really get into wine and start referring to yourself as a "foodie," simplistic advice just won't work.
- More Community Headlines