Get chili and fixins’ Friday at VFW
ANDERSON — The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 266, 3210 Columbus Ave., Anderson, will serve up chili Friday from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Cost is $5 for chili and a grilled cheese sandwich; $5 for chili, hot dogs and chips; and $2 for a chili dog.
Spring Valley Quilt Guild plans party
PENDLETON — To celebrate Christmas and an exciting year of quilting, the Spring Valley Quilt Guild will hold its annual Christmas party pitch-in on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at the Pendleton Library.
Members should bring a covered dish or dessert. The guild will provide the entree, table service and beverages.
Show-and-tell will follow with Christmas and holiday-themed items suggested. The event starts at 6 p.m.
Kids invited to see Santa, do crafts
ANDERSON — Discovery Junction Daycare & Preschool, 3146 Fall Ridge Lane, will host “Cookies with Santa” from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13.
Kids will decorate cookies, do crafts and have story time along with sitting on Santa’s lap.
Call 683-0142 to register your child and be entered to win a $100 Christmas shopping gift card. Cost is $2. proceeds benefit the Exchange Club Family Resource Center.
Muncie Symphony plans Holiday Pops
MUNCIE — The Muncie Symphony Orchestra will host a Fisher/Shafer Holiday Pops concert at 4 p.m. Saturday at Emens Auditorium, Muncie.
The concert will feature special guests, the University Singers Glee Club and Ball State Theater and Dance students.
MSO is waiving fees for children’s tickets (K-12). An instrument petting zoo will be available for children to try their hand at two groups of instruments-woodwinds and strings before the concert and during intermission. Families are offered a free holiday photo prior to the start of the concert in Emens lobby from 3 to 4 p.m.
BSU students get free admission with ID in advance or $5 at door. Adult tickets start at $18.
Library teaching Internet shopping
ANDERSON — Anderson Public Library is offering a free Holiday Shopping on the Internet class on Monday, Dec. 3, at 6 p.m. featuring basic information to get you started with your Internet shopping, safety tips to protect your financial information from online predators, and how to find special savings, deals and unique gift ideas. Register at www.andersonlibrary.net or call 641-2456.
Local authors to sign books in Daleville
DALEVILLE — Local authors Violet Ryan, Toni Cantrell and Bea Simmons will have an Author Chat on Saturday, Dec. 8, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Daleville Community Library.
Christmas set for Markleville Saturday
MARKLEVILLE — Christmas in Markleville will be held from 10 a.m. t0 2 p.m. Saturday at the Hardy Building in Markleville.
For lunch, chili, hot dogs and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will be served. Parents, take your pictures of your children with Santa at no charge. He will arrive at 11 a.m.
There will be craft and gift booths and a Children’s Corner where the kids can decorate a cookie or do a make and take Christmas ornament.
Get chili and fixins’ Friday at VFW
- Edgewood Elementary celebrates diversity When Edgewood Elementary reopened in 2012, Principal Judi Shafer knew the key to creating a successful school community would be to embrace the diversity of students and staff coming from other schools.
- Community Briefs: March 10 A compilation of community news items as published in the Monday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
Art inspired by the landscape of Anderson has found a new home after prominently hanging in the prestigious 21st Annual Coors Western Art Exhibition & Sale in Denver, Colo. Several oil paintings fashioned by local artist David Michael Slonim were sold, including one for $9,500.
- Re-entering society Transitional housing for women re-entering society after incarceration has been available through the faith-based Sister 2 Sister program since December 2009, but the facility has only been able to house four women at a time. The ministry recently purchased a house that will service three times as many women.
- Community Briefs: March 9 A compilation of community news items as published in the Sunday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Anderson library launches online tutoring service Anderson Public Library has launched a new program that offers students of all ages live, one-to-one help from professional tutors online.
- What's Where: March 9-15 Local meetings and activities are planned this week.
- Remembering Anderson sectionals of yesteryear Before the Indiana High School Athletic Association initiated class ball prior to the in 1997-98 season, there was a celebrated event called the Anderson sectional.
- In Service: March 9 A compilation of news items featuring Madison County residents serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Jottings: March 9 The following are brief Jottings items of local interest.
- More Community Headlines