Church hosts Good Friday service
ANDERSON — United in Christ Church, 538 E. 31st St., will have a Good Friday service at 6 p.m.
Among the speakers, Pastor Jones of New Life Apostolic Church will talk on the theme. Hope; AP Clinton Hunter of RFM will speak on Loneliness; Pastor Fred McGhee of Promise Land will speak on Suffering; Pastor White of New Hope Methodist will discuss Forgiveness; Pastor Cooley of Rema Word will speak on Care and Pastor Richardson will discuss Triumph.
Maundy Thursday service scheduled
ANDERSON — Maundy Thursday Service at First Baptist Church, 907 N. Raible, Anderson, is at 7 p.m. Thursday.
This communion service will include a candlelight Tenebrae service led by the First Baptist Temple Choir directed by Alan Erwin.
Baby-sitting classes offered by St. Vincent
ANDERSON — St. Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital is offering a Safe Sitter class Friday and one on Thursday, April 4. Safe Sitter is a medically accurate baby-sitting preparation program designed for boys and girls ages 11 to 13. This program teaches sitters how to have fun with children, to recognize a medical emergency and to respond appropriately. They also learn business aspects of baby-sitting.
The cost is $40, which includes all the learning materials for each one-day class and a backpack of supplies. Enrollment is limited. The class runs from 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students should bring a sandwich for lunch. Snacks and beverages are provided.
Parents may enroll their children in the next class by calling St. Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital Community Education Department at 646-8669.
Central Christian service this evening
ANDERSON — Central Christian, at the corner of 10th and Jackson streets, will offer a Maundy Thursday Service at 7 p.m. this evening. The service will feature candlelight, communion and music.
At 7 p.m. on Good Friday in the Schuster Chapel (adjacent to the church - entrance on 10th Street), a memorial service for Jesus will be held. Call 643-6957 for more information.
First Presbyterian has three services
ANDERSON — First Presbyterian Church, 230 West 9th St., will offer three services during Holy Week. Chosen People Ministries will be present “Messiah in the Passover” on Maundy Thursday at 7 p.m.
CCAA (Christian Clergy Association of Anderson) will sponsor an ecumenical Good Friday service at noon. Easter service will be at 10:20 a.m. Sunday.
Egg hunt, bicycle giveaway is Saturday
ANDERSON — An Easter egg hunt and bicycle giveaway will be held on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. at Jackson Park, West 22nd Street and Raible Avenue, Anderson.
The egg hunt will begin at 12:30 p.m. with a talent show at 2 p.m. You must be present to win.
The event is hosted by the Peerless Lodge, Queenz of Clubz and Trina Jackson.
Church hosts Good Friday service
- Restoring purity For almost three years, Restoration Fellowship Ministries in Anderson has tried to be a safe haven for local girls to talk about issues adolescents face.
- Casting Jesus: Did he really look like Brad Pitt? Those who study religion as portrayed in popular culture note that depicting Jesus on the screen has always been a tricky business, one that balances weighty theological concerns — how divine to make the son of God, and how human? —with more earthly ones, like how best to sell movie tickets?
- Verna Davis: Be careful with the power of your words Recently, driving home from work, I was thinking about two incidents, one fiction, one real, that both bore out the same truth: Words have power.
- Church News: March 8 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Community Briefs: March 7 A compilation of community news as published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Weekend Calendar: March 7 Entertainment scheduled at area venues for March 7-9.
- Live music: March 7 The following listings for live music and other entertainment activities are published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
'Cinderella' dancing into the Paramount
One of the world’s most beloved fairy tales will soon spring to life at the Paramount Theatre. This weekend’s performances will be the first time since 1997 that the local ballet troupe has performed “Cinderella,” AYBT board member Nancy Anderson said.
- 'Ghost' gets musical makeover The 1990 romantic film starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore gets a sweet, often captivating, makeover in the musical playing this weekend at the Old National Centre in Indianapolis.
- Jim Bailey: Experiencing an awesome family connection to a ragamuffin Richard Wayne Mullins was born in Richmond. To his family, he was simply Wayne. The world knew him as Rich Mullins, contemporary Christian singer and songwriter.
- More Community Headlines