Oct. 15 – More than 1,300 Boy Scouts and leaders of the four-county Kikthawenund Area Council participated during the weekend in the 16th annual Westward Ho! – setting new attendance records for both attendance of Scouting personnel and visitors. Troop 594 of Tipton won the Grand Totem Award for outstanding performance among all units presented from Madison, Hamilton, Tipton and Henry Counties. Among district winners were Troop 310, South Anderson Church of God, and Troop 351, Central Christian Church.
Oct. 18 – A two-hour preview and reception, marking the opening of its new art gallery, is scheduled at Anderson College tonight with the initial exhibition featuring work of the school’s first professor of art, the late Ruthven Holmes Byrum. “A Byrum Retrospective” will be on exhibit through Nov. 10, President Robert H. Reardon announced. Four to six shows in sculpture, painting and crafts are being planned for the 1963-64 school year.
100 Years Ago – 1913
Oct. 14 – The board of public works has invited the public to visit the city detention hospital east of this city next Sunday afternoon. Mayor Foster wishes citizens to see the pest house and see the twenty-five acres owned by the city near the hospital. The Union Traction cars will be run to the White River bridge. There are no patients nor contagion of any kind at the pest house.
Oct. 15 – Night school, as a part of the city school system, without tuition fee to residents of Anderson, opened last evening at the high school building with 579 students ranging from youngsters to people at mature years. The surprise was mutual, Superintendent Pearcy and teachers not expecting more than 300 people for the opening night. The large auditorium was taxed to capacity and all were anxious to pick out their particular course. Mechanical practice, commercial and domestic courses were most sought after, with more than 400 people enrolling in the three courses.
– Compiled by Elmore Hammes for The Herald Bulletin