Church celebrates pre-anniversary
ANDERSON — Gospel High Lights plans its 38th year pre-anniversary celebration at 4 p.m. Sunday at Anderson Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 2008 Dr. J.T. Menifee St.
John Lacy and The Gospel Sensations of Indianapolis will be special guests, along with Anderson Zion Baptist Male choirs, James Warner III and Keisha Warner and Company, Brother Terry Criest, Sister Tonya Kelly, Brother John Jackson and Sister Willie Mae Rayford.
Riddles in concert Sunday
ANDERSON — The Riddles will be in concert at 10:30 a.m. Sunday at Gethsemane Foursquare Church, 2320 E. 38th St.
Holy Week events set at Alex
ALEXANDRIA — A “Journey to Jerusalem” with the Alexandria First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), 215 W. Berry St., will be held on Palm Sunday, March 24. The congregation will join with the Alexandria Lutheran Church in the traditional Walk with Palms at 9:30 a.m.
Worship will follow at the two churches, with the adult choir at First Christian presenting the cantata, “Love’s Redeeming Work,” compiled by Helen Eshleman, a friend of Pastor Julia Bratton.
At 6 p.m. March 28, Maundy Thursday services will symbolically follow Jesus’ gift of the Last Supper. The Community Good Friday service will be held at 6 p.m. March 29 at the Alexandria Church of God, 302 N. West St.
On Easter Sunday, March 31, the morning will begin at First Christian with Sunrise Worship at 7 a.m., followed by a continental breakfast sponsored by the Family Life and Evangelism Committee. At 10:30 a.m. the Service of Resurrection will be held including special music by the adult and children’s choirs.
HIS Instrument to present concert
ANDERSON — HIS Instrument from Indiana Wesleyan University will be in concert at Lone Oak Wesleyan Church on Sunday, March 17, at 10:30 a.m. The church is at 486 North County Road 500 W, between Edgewood and Lapel.
Southdale presenting concert, play
ANDERSON — Mitchel Jon will be in concert at 6 p.m. on Sunday at Southdale Church of the Nazarene, 530 W. 53rd St.
He was lead singer for the trio “Three Bridges” and has now gone solo. There will be an afterglow after the concert. All are welcome. For more information call church office at 642-2515.
On Wednesday, March 20 at 7 p.m., Southdale Church of the Nazarene will present BJ Johnston as John Wesley in a performance written by playwright Brad L. Smith. Experience the life and times of John Wesley, the man who rode over 250,000 miles to bring spiritual renewal to England and America.
Weeklong revival services set
ANDERSON — Spring Revival Services will be held at Lighthouse Baptist Church, 2202 Broadway Anderson from March 18 to 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Theere will be a special ordination service for Joseph Baiano on Friday March 22. Travel arrangements can be made at 610-5143.
Downing to be at Eastview Church
ANDERSON — Ann Downing, a soloist on the Gaither Homecoming Video Series will appear Sunday at Eastview Church of the Nazarene, 2552 E. County Road 200 S., Anderson, at 10:30 a.m.
The singer and author, through her Ann Downing Ministries, helps host Ann’s Middle Tennessee Women’s Treat, an annual event in the Nashville area held each spring. For more information contact Pastor Tom Chapman at 644-6472.
Church celebrates pre-anniversary
- Restoring purity For almost three years, Restoration Fellowship Ministries in Anderson has tried to be a safe haven for local girls to talk about issues adolescents face.
- Casting Jesus: Did he really look like Brad Pitt? Those who study religion as portrayed in popular culture note that depicting Jesus on the screen has always been a tricky business, one that balances weighty theological concerns — how divine to make the son of God, and how human? —with more earthly ones, like how best to sell movie tickets?
- Verna Davis: Be careful with the power of your words Recently, driving home from work, I was thinking about two incidents, one fiction, one real, that both bore out the same truth: Words have power.
- Church News: March 8 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Community Briefs: March 7 A compilation of community news as published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Weekend Calendar: March 7 Entertainment scheduled at area venues for March 7-9.
- Live music: March 7 The following listings for live music and other entertainment activities are published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
'Cinderella' dancing into the Paramount
One of the world’s most beloved fairy tales will soon spring to life at the Paramount Theatre. This weekend’s performances will be the first time since 1997 that the local ballet troupe has performed “Cinderella,” AYBT board member Nancy Anderson said.
- 'Ghost' gets musical makeover The 1990 romantic film starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore gets a sweet, often captivating, makeover in the musical playing this weekend at the Old National Centre in Indianapolis.
- Jim Bailey: Experiencing an awesome family connection to a ragamuffin Richard Wayne Mullins was born in Richmond. To his family, he was simply Wayne. The world knew him as Rich Mullins, contemporary Christian singer and songwriter.
- More Community Headlines