First Presbyterian has Scottish flair
ANDERSON — First Presbyterian Church, 230 West 9th Street, invites you to celebrate worship at the 10:20 a.m. service.
The 8th annual “Kirkin’ O’ the Tartans” service will be presented on Sunday, April 28. It is a service with a highly Scottish flair.
There will be a processional with acolytes, a beadle, a piper and clergy using prayers from the Scottish confession. So, come in your plaids or tartans. Come in your kilts if you have them.
This Sunday will also be Consecration Sunday, when the church offers up pledges for the year as an act of worship. A celebration lunch will be served afterward in Fellowship Hall. All are welcome.
Church celebrates 87th anniversary
ANDERSON — Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, 1540 W. 16th St., will celebrate its Annual Day and 87th anniversary at 3:30 p.m. Sunday. Guests will be Pastor Shellie Foard of New Jerusalem and congregation.
The theme for the day will be: I King 14 “Follow the Spirit and Expect an Increase.” The host pastor is Rev. Edgar M. Woodall.
New Life Celebrates pastor’s birthday
ANDERSON — New Life Deliverance Temple, located at 5019 Columbus Ave, will be celebrating Pastor La Tasha C. Jordan’s birthday during the morning worship service at 11 a.m.
The guest speaker will be Pastor James H. Walker and the congregation of New Liberty Non Denominational Church of Indianapolis. The public is invited and encouraged to attend this event. Pastor La Tasha C. Jordan is the host pastor.
New Hope UMC celebrating pastor
ANDERSON — New Hope United Methodist Church, 1503 Rev. J.T. Menifee Street, will be celebrating their Pastor, Rev Sharon White’s four-year Anniversary at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Rev. Michelle Cobb, Superintendent of the North Central District of The United Methodist Church, will be the morning speaker and the afternoon guest will be Rev. Floyd Edwards and the Bethesda Missionary Baptist Church of Anderson. All are welcome.
St. Paul’s to host archdeacon Sunday
GREENFIELD — St. Paul’s Anglican Reformed Episcopal Church is pleased to welcome The Archdeacon Rt. Rev. Peter Manto to St. Paul’s on Sunday April 28. Rev. Manto will conduct Holy Communion at 10:30 a.m. Visitors are welcome to come and speak with Rev Manto regarding the Reformed Episcopal Church. St. Paul’s is at 20 W. South St.
Mount Pilgrim hosts annual workshop
ANDERSON — Mount Pilgrim Church Senior Usher Ministry will host its 10th annual workshop on Saturday at the church.
Breakfast will be served at 9:30 a.m. with the workshop starting at 10 a.m. Speakers will be Cathy Williams, Trinity Baptist Church; Wilhelmine Vance, Mount Pilgrim; Willie Mae Rayford, Anderson Zion Baptist, and Dixie Walton, Mount Pilgrim.
There is no cost to participate. Any questions, call Imogene at 649-1892.
Southern Heights to observe Prayer Day
ANDERSON — A National Day of Prayer observance will be held at Southern Heights Christian Church on Thursday, May 2 at 6:30 p.m.
The Lions of Judah Choir from Liberty Christian School will be performing. The community of Anderson is welcomed to attend and there is no charge.
Family movie night set at St. Matthew
ANDERSON — St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 1512 N. Madison Ave., Anderson, will host a family movie night on Sunday, April 28, at 7 p.m. in Wesley Hall.
Admission is free and each family is encouraged to bring snack foods to share. The movie, “Faith like Potatoes,” is the story of how a hardened and prejudiced man’s quest for material success is transformed after a personal crisis and spiritual awakening into a passionate love for God and people.
Special guest flautist Sydney Hunt will accompany the sanctuary choir at the 9:30 a.m. worship service this Sunday. The choir will sing Heather Sorenson’s “Hiding in the Shadow of God” (“Send the Rain”).
Church Upon Rock has 24th anniversary
ANDERSON — Church Upon The Rock Missionary Baptist Church, 303 E. 29th St., Anderson, will be celebrating its 24th year church anniversary on Sunday, May 5, at 3:30 p.m.
Guests will be Pastor Edgar Woodall and Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, Anderson. The theme will be “I Am Determined” from 1 Corinthians 2:2.
Zion Baptist to hold special celebration
ANDERSON — Anderson Zion Baptist Church, 2008 Rev. James T. Menifee St., Anderson, will be celebrating its third annual Deacons, Ministers, Trustees and Wives Day on Sunday at 4 p.m.
Guest speaker will be Pastor E. Randall of Mount Olive Missionary Baptsist Church of Richmond.
Duncan to preach at Tuesday chapel
ANDERSON — Dr. Ronald Duncan, general director of the Church of God, will preach at the Anderson University School of Theology Chapel at 11 a.m. Tuesday, April 30.
This will be the Senior Recognition Chapel for graduates with academic attire and the last chapel of the semester. Mary Baker will serve as Chaplain in Residence.
Sunday is Queen’s Day celebration
ANDERSON — Greater St. Mark Church of God in Christ, 2232 Dewey St., will have its 26th annual Queen’s Day celebration for Missionary and Mother Pearlen King. The service will begin at 4 p.m. and guest speaker will be Evangelist Gail M. Dodson of Indianapolis.
The theme is “She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness” from Proverbs 31:26.
First Presbyterian has Scottish flair
- Edgewood Elementary celebrates diversity When Edgewood Elementary reopened in 2012, Principal Judi Shafer knew the key to creating a successful school community would be to embrace the diversity of students and staff coming from other schools.
- Community Briefs: March 10 A compilation of community news items as published in the Monday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
Art inspired by the landscape of Anderson has found a new home after prominently hanging in the prestigious 21st Annual Coors Western Art Exhibition & Sale in Denver, Colo. Several oil paintings fashioned by local artist David Michael Slonim were sold, including one for $9,500.
- Re-entering society Transitional housing for women re-entering society after incarceration has been available through the faith-based Sister 2 Sister program since December 2009, but the facility has only been able to house four women at a time. The ministry recently purchased a house that will service three times as many women.
- Community Briefs: March 9 A compilation of community news items as published in the Sunday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Anderson library launches online tutoring service Anderson Public Library has launched a new program that offers students of all ages live, one-to-one help from professional tutors online.
- What's Where: March 9-15 Local meetings and activities are planned this week.
- Remembering Anderson sectionals of yesteryear Before the Indiana High School Athletic Association initiated class ball prior to the in 1997-98 season, there was a celebrated event called the Anderson sectional.
- In Service: March 9 A compilation of news items featuring Madison County residents serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Jottings: March 9 The following are brief Jottings items of local interest.
- More Community Headlines