Deripaska receives Cooper award
MUNCIE — Anna Deripaska, a senior chemistry major from Zionsville living in Anderson, was awarded the Cooper Student Science Award on March 27 at Ball State University. This award was established by the late Dr. and Mrs. Robert Cooper, a professor and department head for several years, to recognize outstanding students who are taking academic work in one or more of the science departments at the university at the time of the granting of the award.
The criteria for this award is not based on financial or scholastics but on the following: the student shall neither use tobacco, alcohol in any form, or illegal drugs and shall be of good moral character.
At the award ceremony the academic science department presents a certificate and a monetary stipend to be used by the student at his/her discretion. This award is given annually.
Robinson graduating from Purdue
WEST LAFAYETTE — Kimberly Robinson, a 2003 graduate of Highland High School, will be receiving her Ph.D. from Purdue University, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, on May 10.
She is specializing in water resource management and land use planning in the Great Lakes Region. She has developed an online website with, maps, data and land use planning aids involved in the decision making process.
This includes water quality and quantity issues, as well as conserving already clean sources of water.
DiRuzza named valedictorian
RENSSELAER — Senior Adrienne DiRuzza of Alexandria has been named the St. Joseph’s College Class of 2013 valedictorian. A biology-wildlife ecology major and mathematics minor, DiRuzza plans to attend Texas A&M University in two years to study marine biology. Her ultimate goal is to research sea turtles and participate in their conservation.
DiRuzza is the daughter of Nick and Mary Anne DiRuzza. She attended Alexandria-Monroe High School in Alexandria. During her time at SJC, DiRuzza was a member of the volleyball and track and field teams, math tutor, campus gardener, teacher’s aide, Indiana Space Grant Consortium Vernier LoggerPro Workshop Assistant, and a member of the Sustainability Coalition, Science Club, and Student Athlete Advisory Committee.
Deripaska receives Cooper award
- Restoring purity For almost three years, Restoration Fellowship Ministries in Anderson has tried to be a safe haven for local girls to talk about issues adolescents face.
- Casting Jesus: Did he really look like Brad Pitt? Those who study religion as portrayed in popular culture note that depicting Jesus on the screen has always been a tricky business, one that balances weighty theological concerns — how divine to make the son of God, and how human? —with more earthly ones, like how best to sell movie tickets?
- Verna Davis: Be careful with the power of your words Recently, driving home from work, I was thinking about two incidents, one fiction, one real, that both bore out the same truth: Words have power.
- Church News: March 8 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Community Briefs: March 7 A compilation of community news as published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Weekend Calendar: March 7 Entertainment scheduled at area venues for March 7-9.
- Live music: March 7 The following listings for live music and other entertainment activities are published in the Friday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
'Cinderella' dancing into the Paramount
One of the world’s most beloved fairy tales will soon spring to life at the Paramount Theatre. This weekend’s performances will be the first time since 1997 that the local ballet troupe has performed “Cinderella,” AYBT board member Nancy Anderson said.
- 'Ghost' gets musical makeover The 1990 romantic film starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore gets a sweet, often captivating, makeover in the musical playing this weekend at the Old National Centre in Indianapolis.
- Jim Bailey: Experiencing an awesome family connection to a ragamuffin Richard Wayne Mullins was born in Richmond. To his family, he was simply Wayne. The world knew him as Rich Mullins, contemporary Christian singer and songwriter.
- More Community Headlines