Friday, May 24
Indiana Christian Academy commencement, 7 p.m., Grace Baptist Church.
Saturday, May 25
Ernie’s Heart Pet Food Pantry YART (Yard + Art) Sale, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., 610 Scatterfield Road.
Relay for Life bowling fundraiser, 3-5 p.m., Cooper’s Sport Bowl, 1920 E. 53rd St.
Family Festival sponsored by Living Water Community Church, 3-7 p.m., food and fun, 7-9 p.m., music/service, Anderson Town Centre Park.
Dr. Angela H. Streeter Scholarship Musical presented by Metropolitan College of Theology, 5 p.m., Anderson City Building, 120 E. Eighth St.
65th Pay Less Little 500, green flag, 8 p.m., Anderson Speedway, 1311 Martin Luther King Blvd., Anderson. Call 642-0206 for reserved tickets, $29.
Community Memorial Day service, 11 a.m., Alexandria Service Club, 204 E. Berry St. Co-hosted by Alexander Bright Post 87, American Legion and the City of Alexandria.
Farmers market, 8 a.m.-noon, Falls Park, next to the Community Building.
Sunday, May 26
97th running of the Indianapolis 500, 12:12 p.m., Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Friday, May 24
- Elwood freshmen learn the ways of high school through mentoring program About half the 112 incoming freshmen at Elwood Jr./Sr. High School got a jump on their friends recently by attending a freshman orientation session. Joan Mercer, an English teacher who helped organize the the orientation, said the mentor program, which has been in place for several years, has been effective in new students make the high school transition.
Having a wine time
Cathy Hensley’s never been much of a drinker. It wasn’t something that interested her very much, so it seemed unfathomable that she would ever run a winery. But after her son Eric offered her and her husband, Duke, some wine he made, it changed things.
- Lanane among LifeStream honorees Dr. Jon Hendrix and Katie Lucas, both of Muncie; Janet Privett, Montezuma, Ohio, and Sen. Tim Lanane (D), Anderson, will be honored during a reception Aug. 7 in Muncie for their work in making a difference in the lives of aging adults and people with disabilities.
- Community Briefs: July 27 A compilation of community news items as published in the Sunday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Storage solution The key to creating a beautiful home on a budget is to look beyond the intended purpose of an item, and beyond its appearance. Instead, check for sturdiness of the frame, and the functionality of the components.
- What's Where: July 27-Aug. 2 Local meetings and activities are scheduled this week.
- Help available locally to navigate health care options If you feel like you’re drowning in the shifting sea of health care options, don’t panic: SHIP, a local Navigator and Life Stream are ready to help.
- Spiritualists' home Camp Chesterfield is one of 10 spiritualist camps in the United States, and the only one of its kind in Indiana. Founded in the late 1800s, It's home to the Indiana Association of Spiritualists and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Back in the News: July 27 The Herald Bulletin looks back at stories from the Anderson Daily Bulletin and The Anderson Herald newspapers.
- Jim Bailey: Traveling by passenger train was a page from the past My wife doesn’t remember riding on a full-fledged passenger train as a baby. Our children have never ridden. It’s an experience rapidly going the way of the horse and buggy and the stagecoach throughout a nation now obsessed with jumbo jets and sport-utility vehicles.
- More Community Headlines