Lynch continued to prosper after T. C. Werbe’s death in 1951 and its heyday was probably the early '60s. The company had plants in Ohio and in Marion as well as the two in Anderson. After that time, employment steadily declined. The company had some labor troubles in the 1930s and 1940s, but they became more pressing in the '70s and 80s. At some point in time, the Curtiss-Wright Corporation acquired control of Lynch. The machine shop operation on Jackson Street was closed in 1982. (The property was reused by Prime Battery and was eventually demolished a few years ago.) A final strike which began June 22, 1984 lasted for several months. Lynch Corporation decided to close the Anderson operation and move it to Bainbridge, Ga.
Lynch Corporation employees took out advertising space in the local newspaper in which they published an obituary for the Lynch Corporation in Anderson. They accused the management of having deceived local officials by taking loans for a million dollars over two years and promising to buy new machinery and create new jobs, when in reality the intention was to move the machinery and operations to the South.
Lynch remained competitive and creative up to the very end of its time in Anderson. In 1979, Lynch set a record of sorts by building the largest commercial glass press in the world for a company in Taiwan. The press, which made television faces plates and picture tubes, weighed more than 80,000 pounds and was more than 14 feet tall. In the early 1980s, Lynch announced that it was going to begin to produce a manufacturing robot called the EZ Handler 1. Maybe it, too, went to Georgia.
Today Lynch Corporation’s Crystal Street plant is the home of the Historical Military Armor Museum.