The Herald Bulletin

June 9, 2013

Atkinson gets Street Stock win

Chapman keeps Thunder Car streak alive

By Ken de la Bastide
CNHI News Service

— For 46 laps, Jason Artkinson held off Calvin Parham and Jacob McElfresh to win the Champion Racing Association’s 75-lap feature for the Street Stock division at Anderson Speedway on Saturday.

Atkinson, who has won numerous times at Anderson Speedway in a Sportsman Late Model, got his first win Saturday in a Street Stock by finishing .3-seconds ahead of Parham.

“He probably had the better car than I did tonight,” Atkinson said. “I want to thank Calvin (Parham) for racing me clean, there were plenty of opportunities to make contact.”

For the final 20 laps a blanket could have been thrown over the front running five cars as they jockeyed for position. The final caution flag waved on lap 71 when Wes Russell Jr. spun in Turn 2 while running fourth.

Following Atkinson, Parham and McElfresh to the line were J.J. Shafer, who started 14th in the 22 car field, and Robert Amos Jr., who started 15th.

The race got interesting from lap 47 through 50 when three of the front running cars ran into problems. First Josh Myers slowed with a flat tire, followed by fast qualifier Jim Crabtree Jr. with a tire problem and then Dustin Burge lost an engine in Turn 3.

Only Crabtree was able to continue.

Thanks to the fastest eight cars being inverted for the start, defending Anderson Speedway champion Jimmy Kirby started on the pole with Myers on the outside of the front row. Kirby led the first 18 laps when he was bumped by Myers in turn two and spun, sending both drivers to the tail of the field.

That put McElfresh into the lead followed by Atkinson and Parham. On a lap 22 restart, Atkinson used the high line to take the lead and Parham followed suit seven laps later.

There were two lead changes among three drivers. There were seven caution periods in the race.

Curtis Chapman won his fifth consecutive Thunder Car feature but it took a last-lap pass to get around Tom Gossar coming off the fourth corner.

Gossar took the lead from Earl Adams on the second lap with an outside pass while Chapman went to the inside down the back straight.

For the next 23 laps Chapman was glued to the tail of Gossar’s car with Rob Allman and Trent Gossar in the hunt for the victory.

On lap 24 Chapman got alongside of Gossar but was unable to make the pass. Racing down the back straight, Trent Gossar thought about making it three wide entering Turn 3, but backed out of the accelerator.

Coming off the fourth corner Chapman grabbed the lead from Tom Gossar to win by .094-seconds with Trent Gossar finishing third followed by Adams and Chris Snyder.