Spring revival begins Monday
ANDERSON — Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, 1540 W. 16th St., will host its Spring Revival March 25-27, with services at 7 p.m. nightly.
Guest evangelist will be the Rev. Henry Johnson III, pastor of Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Columbus, Ohio. Host pastor is the Rev. Dr. Edgar M. Woodall.
‘Facing the Giants’ shown this evening
CHESTERFIELD — “The power of belief, the strength to win” is the focus of the movie “Facing The Giants” which will be presented free of charge at 7 p.m. today by KingsWay Fellowship. Free refreshments will be provided and door prizes awarded.
Children must be accompanied by an adult. KingsWay Fellowship meets at CrossRoads Blues Cafe, 305 Water St., Chesterfield.
Winford speaks at St. Matthew
ANDERSON —The Rev. Doris Winford, pastor emeritus, will speak at the 9:30 a.m. worship service Sunday at St. Matthew United Methodist Church, 1512 N. Madison Ave. Her message, “The Humility of Jesus Christ,” will be based on text from Philippians.
Porter celebrates pastoral anniversary
TIFTON, Ga. — Rudy Porter, former Anderson resident and assistant to the mayor for community affairs, will celebrate his first pastoral anniversary Saturday at the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Tifton, Ga.
Prior to being called to Shiloh, Porter served as pastor of the Irvin Hill Missionary Baptist Church in Valdosta, Ga.
Spring revival begins Monday
- Verna Davis: Got a song stuck in your head? Just surrender Ever have a song stuck in your head? You find yourself thinking about the song at random times during the day. Or humming the song at odd times during the day. Or worse yet, when stopped at a traffic signal you find yourself belting it out only to realize that even with the windows rolled up, the person in the car beside you can hear your not-so-musical rendition.
- Church News: Aug. 16 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Judge: Church of God fraud case closed No objections have been filed preventing the closure of a decade-old investment fraud case involving the Church Extension of the Church of God. The deadline for objections to a plan resolving the case was Aug. 4.
- Uniting to serve A meaningful relationship with God can grow within the walls of a church, but for the congregation at United in Christ Church, that connection happens by taking time to step away from the pews and walk into the community.
Verna Davis: Asking and answering some rhetorical questions
A rhetorical question implies its own answer so in order to make a point. Sometimes, rhetorical questions are meant to engage us in...well…umm…some sort of rhetoric. Just for the fun of it, let’s ask (and answer) some rhetorical questions.
- Church News: Aug. 9 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Called to serve Life right after college is a time of uncertainty and scrambling for a full-time job for a lot of recent graduates, but Holly Smith has known in her heart for a while what she was destined to do after commencement.
- Verna Davis: Peace is worth fighting for Some people say they know how to find peace. We should “simply” follow our hearts, search for meaning in our lives, and fulfill our dreams. Sad to say, those things may bring us a bit of satisfaction, but they certainly don’t bring us peace.
- JamFest set for Aug. 3 at Christ Lutheran Christ Lutheran Church, 2751 N. Scatterfield Road, will host JamFest from 4 to 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 3.
- Verna Davis: Seek peace by turning from evil and doing good There's something we all want: peace. World peace. Family peace. Personal peace. We yearn for peace, a feeling of freedom from commotion and antagonism, of harmony in our relationships, of lack of strife or dissension. What would we do to have peace in our lives?
- More Faith Headlines