Church celebrates pre-anniversary
ANDERSON — Gospel High Lights plans its 38th year pre-anniversary celebration at 4 p.m. Sunday at Anderson Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 2008 Dr. J.T. Menifee St.
John Lacy and The Gospel Sensations of Indianapolis will be special guests, along with Anderson Zion Baptist Male choirs, James Warner III and Keisha Warner and Company, Brother Terry Criest, Sister Tonya Kelly, Brother John Jackson and Sister Willie Mae Rayford.
Riddles in concert Sunday
ANDERSON — The Riddles will be in concert at 10:30 a.m. Sunday at Gethsemane Foursquare Church, 2320 E. 38th St.
Holy Week events set at Alex
ALEXANDRIA — A “Journey to Jerusalem” with the Alexandria First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), 215 W. Berry St., will be held on Palm Sunday, March 24. The congregation will join with the Alexandria Lutheran Church in the traditional Walk with Palms at 9:30 a.m.
Worship will follow at the two churches, with the adult choir at First Christian presenting the cantata, “Love’s Redeeming Work,” compiled by Helen Eshleman, a friend of Pastor Julia Bratton.
At 6 p.m. March 28, Maundy Thursday services will symbolically follow Jesus’ gift of the Last Supper. The Community Good Friday service will be held at 6 p.m. March 29 at the Alexandria Church of God, 302 N. West St.
On Easter Sunday, March 31, the morning will begin at First Christian with Sunrise Worship at 7 a.m., followed by a continental breakfast sponsored by the Family Life and Evangelism Committee. At 10:30 a.m. the Service of Resurrection will be held including special music by the adult and children’s choirs.
HIS Instrument to present concert
ANDERSON — HIS Instrument from Indiana Wesleyan University will be in concert at Lone Oak Wesleyan Church on Sunday, March 17, at 10:30 a.m. The church is at 486 North County Road 500 W, between Edgewood and Lapel.
Southdale presenting concert, play
ANDERSON — Mitchel Jon will be in concert at 6 p.m. on Sunday at Southdale Church of the Nazarene, 530 W. 53rd St.
He was lead singer for the trio “Three Bridges” and has now gone solo. There will be an afterglow after the concert. All are welcome. For more information call church office at 642-2515.
On Wednesday, March 20 at 7 p.m., Southdale Church of the Nazarene will present BJ Johnston as John Wesley in a performance written by playwright Brad L. Smith. Experience the life and times of John Wesley, the man who rode over 250,000 miles to bring spiritual renewal to England and America.
Weeklong revival services set
ANDERSON — Spring Revival Services will be held at Lighthouse Baptist Church, 2202 Broadway Anderson from March 18 to 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Theere will be a special ordination service for Joseph Baiano on Friday March 22. Travel arrangements can be made at 610-5143.
Downing to be at Eastview Church
ANDERSON — Ann Downing, a soloist on the Gaither Homecoming Video Series will appear Sunday at Eastview Church of the Nazarene, 2552 E. County Road 200 S., Anderson, at 10:30 a.m.
The singer and author, through her Ann Downing Ministries, helps host Ann’s Middle Tennessee Women’s Treat, an annual event in the Nashville area held each spring. For more information contact Pastor Tom Chapman at 644-6472.
Church celebrates pre-anniversary
- Church News: Dec. 7 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Verna Davis: Look for the star that outshines all others Can you name a star? A real star, a star in the sky? Well, there's Vega, the fifth brightest star in the sky, 25 light years from the sun. But then there's that other star. The one mentioned in the Gospel of Matthew. The star that was so bright in the night sky that it outshined all other stars.
Candlelight vigil marks World AIDS Day service
World AIDS Day turned into a service for faith and information in Anderson on Monday.
- Ballet Folklorico performs at Paramount, boasts diverse corps of dancers The St. Mary's-based Ballet Folklorico dance group is all about diversity.
- Kid's Learning Station and Christmas Program at Madison Park Madison Park Church of God invites the community to the Kid’s Learning Station and North Kids Christmas Program on Sunday, Dec. 8, at 6 p.m. at Madison Park Church of God.
Verna Davis: Remember: perfect gift has already been given
I know some people who are experts at buying gifts. No matter what the circumstance, they find just the right gift for the right person at the right time. I envy those people. I try to pick the right gift for the right person.
- Early Thanksgiving dinner teams with public transportation, feeds about 600 As Kathy Kellams prepared the kitchen at Cross Roads United Methodist to handle the influx of people who would be arriving to receive an early Thanksgiving meal, one of her volunteers told her there were already a few people waiting in the lobby.
Church of God convention leaving Anderson
For the first time in almost 100 years, Anderson will not host the annual Church of God Convention. The ministry announced Monday that Oklahoma City will be the new site for the 2014 convention and General Assembly meeting. Anderson will serve as a satellite location.
- Three churches have plans for expansion Three churches have plans to expand following approval from the City Council to vacate two streets.
Remembrance service conjures fond memories for friends, family
One by one, the names were read. They were names familiar to the people in attendance. They were names of loved ones who won't be with them this holiday season.
- More Faith Headlines