Church celebrates pre-anniversary
ANDERSON — Gospel High Lights plans its 38th year pre-anniversary celebration at 4 p.m. Sunday at Anderson Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 2008 Dr. J.T. Menifee St.
John Lacy and The Gospel Sensations of Indianapolis will be special guests, along with Anderson Zion Baptist Male choirs, James Warner III and Keisha Warner and Company, Brother Terry Criest, Sister Tonya Kelly, Brother John Jackson and Sister Willie Mae Rayford.
Riddles in concert Sunday
ANDERSON — The Riddles will be in concert at 10:30 a.m. Sunday at Gethsemane Foursquare Church, 2320 E. 38th St.
Holy Week events set at Alex
ALEXANDRIA — A “Journey to Jerusalem” with the Alexandria First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), 215 W. Berry St., will be held on Palm Sunday, March 24. The congregation will join with the Alexandria Lutheran Church in the traditional Walk with Palms at 9:30 a.m.
Worship will follow at the two churches, with the adult choir at First Christian presenting the cantata, “Love’s Redeeming Work,” compiled by Helen Eshleman, a friend of Pastor Julia Bratton.
At 6 p.m. March 28, Maundy Thursday services will symbolically follow Jesus’ gift of the Last Supper. The Community Good Friday service will be held at 6 p.m. March 29 at the Alexandria Church of God, 302 N. West St.
On Easter Sunday, March 31, the morning will begin at First Christian with Sunrise Worship at 7 a.m., followed by a continental breakfast sponsored by the Family Life and Evangelism Committee. At 10:30 a.m. the Service of Resurrection will be held including special music by the adult and children’s choirs.
HIS Instrument to present concert
ANDERSON — HIS Instrument from Indiana Wesleyan University will be in concert at Lone Oak Wesleyan Church on Sunday, March 17, at 10:30 a.m. The church is at 486 North County Road 500 W, between Edgewood and Lapel.
Southdale presenting concert, play
ANDERSON — Mitchel Jon will be in concert at 6 p.m. on Sunday at Southdale Church of the Nazarene, 530 W. 53rd St.
He was lead singer for the trio “Three Bridges” and has now gone solo. There will be an afterglow after the concert. All are welcome. For more information call church office at 642-2515.
On Wednesday, March 20 at 7 p.m., Southdale Church of the Nazarene will present BJ Johnston as John Wesley in a performance written by playwright Brad L. Smith. Experience the life and times of John Wesley, the man who rode over 250,000 miles to bring spiritual renewal to England and America.
Weeklong revival services set
ANDERSON — Spring Revival Services will be held at Lighthouse Baptist Church, 2202 Broadway Anderson from March 18 to 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Theere will be a special ordination service for Joseph Baiano on Friday March 22. Travel arrangements can be made at 610-5143.
Downing to be at Eastview Church
ANDERSON — Ann Downing, a soloist on the Gaither Homecoming Video Series will appear Sunday at Eastview Church of the Nazarene, 2552 E. County Road 200 S., Anderson, at 10:30 a.m.
The singer and author, through her Ann Downing Ministries, helps host Ann’s Middle Tennessee Women’s Treat, an annual event in the Nashville area held each spring. For more information contact Pastor Tom Chapman at 644-6472.
Church celebrates pre-anniversary
Helping those in need
Nine-year-old Skylar King was not a volunteer or even a member of Greater Light Church, which Saturday gave away free school supplies, clothing and food during its annual Greater Light Gives Back event. The boy had played games to win tokens, and then he used them to buy each binder, saying he was giving his prizes away because he wanted to help other people.
- Anderson Pathfinders seek supplies to host Kenyan group Flashlights, toiletries, pillows and batteries are just some of the simple items the Anderson Pathfinders are trying to collect in the upcoming weeks.
- Church News: July 19 A compilation of local church news as published in the Saturday edition of The Herald Bulletin.
- Verna Davis: Like pecan pie, words from our mouths should be sweet I know that today is only July 12 and we are four months away from Thanksgiving dinner. I know that it's hot and you might not want to heat your oven for an hour to bake a pie. Nevertheless, today, July 12, is National Pecan Pie Day.
- Church News: July 12 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- Church of God: Marriage still one man, one woman About the same time an Indiana judge was striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriage in late June, the Church of God general assembly was approving a resolution reaffirming its view that marriage should be between one man and one woman.
Swindled Indianapolis church fights for survival
An Indianapolis church that was swindled out of $400,000 intended to help the congregation rebuild after a fire instead is fighting for its survival.
Nun, 100, celebrates austere life of prayer
For most of her life, Sister Mary Bernadette has woken up at the stroke of midnight, stood up from the straw mattress inside her cell, and walked barefoot to the small chapel inside the Monastery of the Poor Clares.
- Verna Davis: Encourage, don't discourage The nation's largest pharmacy benefit manager, Express Scripts, is dramatically scaling back its coverage of compounded medications, saying most of the custom-mixed medicines are ineffective or overpriced.
- Church News: July 5 The following are brief Church News items of local interest.
- More Faith Headlines
- Helping those in need